Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Ecotec engine use coated cylinders???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Ecotec engine use coated cylinders??? Reply with quote

My parents had a Chevy Equinox with the direct injection engine that they had to trade in because oil consumption went way up. Dad checks the oil before he changes it and it went from using none to not touching the stick in 5000 miles. I have a friend with a Honda (not sure of model) that is also a direct injection engine with the same problem - something like a quart every 1000 miles. I can't really see how direct injection itself can be the problem. I'm wondering if both of these engines use coated cylinders instead of an iron or steel liner. Also wondering if these are basically growing pains of coated cylinders or actually a quality control issue? Just curious if anybody has any first hand experience with one. Thanks, Clay.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct knowledge.

I would think that washing the cylinder walls free of oil would be much more prominent in a carbureted car than with a direct injection. With port injected EFI and carbs the fuel is in the cylinder with the air and as such could dilute the residual oil not scraped off the walls by the rings (needed to lubricate the rings and the piston to reduce wear).

Maybe they changed the hatch pattern in the final hone thinking that there would be less dilution and as such would need less oil for lube. This could cause excessive wear that results in oil consumption.

That is about the only thing I can see that might cause a problem.

Chevy has been using lower and lower tension on their piston rings to reduce parasitic horsepower loss in an attempt to increase their CAFE gas mileage numbers. Maybe they got carried away on this engine?

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You brought up a good point - maybe the liquid fuel from conventional injection actually acts like a lubricant or at least a cleaner. Maybe the cylinder is actually running dryer with the direct injection setup. I know manufacturers have been running lower tension oil rings for a while but what stood out on this one is the very sudden increase in consumption - not a gradual increase with mileage. Also at the last oil change he said the filter looked very black - a noticable difference than before (it uses a cartridge filter - not screw on). The first thing that popped into my mind with these last two observations is it sounded like a cylinder coating failure. Just throwing around ideas. Clay
motorman

513.18 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text from GM tech-link
Excessive oil consumption may be noticed on some 2010 Equinox and Terrain models equipped with the 2.4L direct-injected 4-cylinder engine (RPO LAF). In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles (1,609 km). This condition may not be evident until the vehicle has accumulated 20,000 miles (32,187 km) or more. It may appear earlier if the drive cycle of the vehicle mainly consists of short trip driving (more thermal-cycles). Upon inspection, excessive oil in the fresh air side of the PCV system due to excessive crankcase pressure and blow-by may be noted. In addition, all four spark plugs will have obvious/excessive oil deposits on them.
If this condition is encountered, remove the spark plugs and inspect them for obvious/excessive oil deposits. If there is no sign of oil deposits on the spark plugs, perform an oil consumption test as outlined in the latest version of Bulletin #01-06-01-011 before proceeding.
If excessive oil consumption is verified by inspecting the spark plugs and/or performing an oil consumption test, perform the appropriate Service Information diagnosis for oil consumption and repair as necessary. If a single spark plug has obvious/excessive oil deposits, inspect the related valve seals to ensure that they are not missing, damaged, or torn and replace them as needed.
If the Service Information diagnostics does not isolate the cause of the condition and no obvious valve seal conditions are found, inspect the cylinder walls for obvious vertical “zebra stripes” as shown in the photo. (Fig. 1) In most cases, the cylinder head will have to be removed for inspection because these stripes may be hard to see with a bore scope. They also may not be apparent until the cylinder walls are cleaned with contact cleaner.
If these stripes are NOT present, continue to follow the Service Information procedures and diagnosis to determine if there is another cause for the oil consumption, such as stuck rings, damaged rings, etc.
If these stripes ARE present, replace the engine using the latest part number listed in the parts catalog since this engine does not have serviceable cylinder liners like some of the other Ecotec engines. Before ordering the replacement engine, refer to #PIP5025 for additional information regarding engine replacement approval and installation.

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorman wrote:
Text from GM tech-link
Excessive oil consumption may be noticed on some 2010 Equinox and Terrain models equipped with the 2.4L direct-injected 4-cylinder engine (RPO LAF). In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles (1,609 km).

WOW at the 3000 mile oil change the oil will be gone and you will be screwed on the warranty! Evil or Very Mad
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. That's what really stunk about the way their oil consumption increased - at all the previous oil change intervals it used nothing - then suddenly at the next one it wasn't touching the stick. Clay
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the old Vega scenario pops up again instead you have a coating then the same result...

That Sucks!

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: