Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Ford 302 Turbo questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Ford 302 Turbo questions Reply with quote

ok guys i want to do a single turbo setup, on my mustang, but not sure what i need, im not using an innercooler (water/meth injection) so far i have a stock 87 5.0L forged pistons, with stock rods, and lighter 28oz crank, ported E7TE heads, it was just rebuilt Very Happy runs good, but i wanna make people scratch their heads when i blow their doors off, hahahaha, its got a T-5 tranny, now heres the parts i have so far, a set of stock manifolds for a 88 t-bird (im going to flip them around so i dont need any headers and save $$$) i have a Holset H1C turbo (the larger version) and an adjustable wastegate, i want a single turbo to make around 450HP or so, and run 11's or so. heres what i plan to use, C&L 73mm MAF meter, 30lb inj, stock cam, 255lph in tank pump, Snow level 2 water/Meth inj, M/T E.T. slicks, i want to run 5-15psig boost, any help would be apprieciated, thanks Dominick
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C&L = dirty data streams out of it.

Thats maybe just my opinion, but my 95 GT ran way cleaner on a OEM meter... AKA I would sell that C&L and buy a Lightning meter.

87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok man, thanks, wait a lightning meter? you mean from a ford truck? and im running the older style MAF, it wont plug in. but thanks for your help man. ill keep you posted on my progress, but i have a XS Power T40S turbo with an A/R of 1.15 turbine, and .60 compressor which one would you use?
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 302 Turbo questions Reply with quote

87turbofoxbody wrote:
i have a Holset H1C turbo (the larger version) and an adjustable wastegate, i want a single turbo to make around 450HP or so

that H1C will do much better than 450 hp once you get it set up right.

87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so tell me 10sec.et whats the right setup to make 400-650hp? im just getting started, and i know some about turbos, but not how to get max power with max efficiency
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
Chadwards

539.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i replyed to another thread you created asking almost the same question.
ill give a similar reply.
making 650hp at 5000rpm is a tall order. especially on all factory pistons and rods and whatnot. cuz to do that would would need to be well over 600ftlbs of tq.
you will probably be looking at a high 400 hp number.
to get it perfect you will need the exact turbo for the job.
the best thing to do is look at some compressor maps. calculate how many lbs of air you need to flow to get to ur desiered power level. then find a turbo that is efficent at that flow rate. notice i didnt say is capable but is efficent. there is a difference.

its going to be hard to find a turbo that will give you a low enough spool chariteristics and can still sustain a 600ftlbs of air flow at 5000rpm.

i think with the perfect turbo you could be efficent from 3000-5200. which would be great.

your 60 ft time wouldnt increase much but your trap speed and overall time would improve substantially. i imagine your fox body would do 10-11 seconds with the right supporting mods such as tires gearing etc.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine used a single turbo setup from quicktime turbo, but im not sure if the guy even sells the kit anymore. the kit came with an intercooler, took a little inside bumper cutting to fit it, but if you are not running one, meth injection would be a little insurance, but you could pull it off with a mild timing curve and not too much psi. also sent the car to a local performance tuning shop where they gave 3 different timing and fuel curves, but at the first setting, I think he made around 420hp to the wheels, but only around 9.5 lbs of boost, not what I would think you even need meth injection for as long as you don't have too much timing and cold plugs.

I have been known for doing things like pushing 12lbs of psi into a 2 bolt main cast chevy through a 6-71 blower, and proving many advertisements wrong. what have I learned? fear buys expensive parts, caution and patience can allow you to make due without spending a ton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: