Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

REAR MOUNTED TURBO S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWEET64XL

137.88 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: REAR MOUNTED TURBO S Reply with quote

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE WITH REAR MOUNTED TURBO'S HOW DO I PUMP THE OIL BACK TO THE ENGINE
AND TURBO SIZING
THANKS TONY
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remotes usually have their own oiling

and their own lag

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need pumps (one for each turbo) to return the oil. keep the turbine housing SMALL if you want them to spool.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can use one pump. You will have to build an accumulator tank to dump each turbo outlet into then have your scavenge pump intake from it and then pump back into something like a valve cover would be my choice. I can't remember the manufacturer right now but usually the pump used is one that is used to circulate fluid out of the rear end and through a cooler on circle track cars (NASCAR). Handling HOT oil is the main problem that the pump has to deal with. I looked into doing this pretty seriously on my Nova a while back. It sounds like the easy way to go, but it's not as easy as you think. Here was my problem. You have to get exhaust into the turbo then out of it at 90* from each other - driveshaft and subframe connectors really get in the way. Then you have to get cool, clean air into the compressor side - never did really figure out where to do that on my car. Finally at 90* from that you have to then run pressurized air to the front and you don't exactly want to run it next to the exhaust that's already there. Long story short, there was more room under the hood to install twins than under the car. Don't want to deter you, just sharing what I learned. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I believe you can use one pump. You will have to build an accumulator tank to dump each turbo outlet into then have your scavenge pump intake from it and then pump back into something like a valve cover would be my choice.

good idea. the one and only car that i saw with a well built rear mount turbo kit had a pair of pumps (no accumulator tank) and it was real finicky with the drainback. an issue with the PCV had the turbos puking oil out of the exhaust. once we got the drainback and PCV system up to speed it actually made 600+ HP to the rear wheels. i have to agree the rear mount is a lot of work. i cant see how that would be an "easier" route to take with a turbo kit. you know us Olds guys, were all about taking the "easy" route Rolling Eyes Embarassed Head Bang .

Chadwards

539.30 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear mounts such as STS are pretty in efficent.
think about this. in order to create boost you make back pressure most turbos create 10lbs of back pressure for every 9lbs of boost.
now heat (dispite what many think) is a huge part of spool. the ideal gas law dictates how heat and pressure are related. as gasses expand they tipically cool. and as the are compressed the heat up. so if you increase the volume of the exhaust the pressure goes down and the tempature drops the pressure drops even more. the engine needs to heat and pressurize the exhaust before the turbo.. so if you plan on making small gains with low boost they work ok. but for high HP per liter (like 350HP per liter) they dont do a very good job. and the bigger the turbo the worse it gets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: