Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

need help with a ford 5.0L SINGLE TURBO SETUP

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what size injectors and what pump?
30lb and 255
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
36lb and 190
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
42 and 190
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: need help with a ford 5.0L SINGLE TURBO SETUP Reply with quote

hey guys, i need a lil help. im trying to do a cheap single turbo set up on my fox, its all stock, just rebuilt (hasnt even been started yet) haha, and i have a Holset H1C turbo (the bigger version not the small one) im trying to figure out what all i may need, and what kind of power i can make with it. (without blowing it up of course) i just want a lil extra something for the street. HP goal around 450-600 somewhere in that range. its all stock 87 5.0L fuel injected, has a high volume oil pump, and ported E7TE heads, i plan to use my factory hedders, and i want it to boost right off idle and go till about 5000-5500 or so, unless you have other ideas, but i can use all the help you got. like i said nuttin special just something to have fun in and be different. thanks[/b]
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the math. 42 x .8 (80% duty cycle is I believe the recommended max. on most injectors) = 33.6. 33.6 / 0.55 (safe b.s.f.c for forced induction - b.s.f.c. means brake specific fuel consumption - for every h.p. it takes 0.55 lbs. of fuel) = 61 h.p. This is for each cylinder so 61 x 8 = 488 h.p. Now this is recommended. You can run injectors higher than 80%, I have just read that not over 80% is recommended - I'm assuming for a safety margin. Fuel pump for 500 h.p. - here is the math. 500 x 0.55 = 275 lbs. 275 / 6 (rough weight of fuel per gallon) = 45.8 gal. / hr. 46 x 3.78 (liters per gallon) = 174 liters. 190 should get it done with some safety margin. I don't have a map or info on the H1C (10sec.et probably does) but diesels turbo's in general have pretty large exhaust sides. Good for power, but bad for response. If you have it, I'd try it no doubt, but if it doesn't do what you want my next shot would be what I just put on my Nova. I used twins, but a single should do what you are asking. I'd try to lose the factory headers as they are pinched pretty bad for easier installation at the factory. Even just a cheap unequal length set would be fine. What are you going to use for computer control? I'm curious as I have a 94 I'm going to do something with in a year or two. I bought a Quarterhorse and haven't had to time to install it and mess with programming. Sounds like my kind of project - welcome to Smokemup and keep us posted. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never really did take the time to really learn EFI with a turbo so im not much help with injector sizing. i have specs on that HC1 somewhere. i should also have a map. ill dig it up if i get time tomorrow. i still have a few loose ends to button up on my car before noon tomorrow and then to the track so if i get time it will be late.

87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: hey guys Reply with quote

thanks for the help, 10sec.et that map would be wonderful if you could find one, and i also have a XS Power T04S 1.15 turbine A/R and .60 A/R compressor. which would you use? im just wanting a single turbo front mount. im going to save up some $$$ and get the Hot pipe kit from tredstone perf. do you guys know any1 who has one thats used slightly, that i could get for cheap. and im going to go with a SCT custom chip, untill i get more money, then im going to go with a holley commander 950 MPI or an edelbrock system to plug into my factory harness and injectors, but if you want something cheap you could go with a megasquirt setup. thanks for the help, ill keep you up to date with the progress
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a map to a HX40.http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/map.php you have to scroll down to the Holset X series near the bottom of the map library. its real close to the H1C. i still need to dig out my maps Embarassed . what exhaust housing is on your Holset ? personally, i would rather use the Holset simply because you know its a reliable turbo. the XS Power unit...........

87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, im not sure, its not written anywhere on it. i think im going to try the xs power first, then save up for a turbonettics T76 or T64
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87turbofoxbody wrote:
oh ok, im not sure, its not written anywhere on it. i think im going to try the xs power first, then save up for a turbonettics T76 or T64

the exhaust size is cast on the inside of the exhaust housing inlet. should be just a two digit number with the smaller ones being around 16 and larger housings around 22. this is not the typical a/r number found on Garretts and others. its some weird metric sizing. trying the XS Power turbo isnt a bad idea. the Holset will most likely have a large exhaust housing even if it is the "small" one.

87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ill look here in the next few days. say do you know anyone with mustang 5.0HO parts, i need a MAF meter, a MAF computer and wiring harness, 42lb injectors, 255lph pump, and turbo manifold and downpipe? if you know someone it would be great
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
Chadwards

539.30 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey im fairly new here so dont blow up at me if im incorrect.. but i think finding a turbo that will do what your wanting it will be crittical. i would also focus on tq numbe
rs i think your realilistically looking low 600s on tq and high 400s on hp especially if you plan on having the turbo done at 5000rpm.
for example... hp is a derivitive of rpm so to make that much hp by 5000rpm you would need to be over 600ft lbs of torque at 5000.
600 X 5000 5250 = 571HP
off the top of my head i would say a GT35R or a precision 58series would be just about perfect in my opinion.

also that is kinda a large area for a turbo to be efficent imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: