Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Chinese turbo followup.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Chinese turbo followup. Reply with quote

I drove the car to work Easter Sunday and throught I heard a noise when I parked it. What it sounded like and my first thought was the bushings were shot and the impellers were rubbing the housings on the turbos. Haven't really found out what the noise was yet (I'm suspecting the rear bearing in the alternator). Anyway this is about the turbos when I took them apart. Everything looked perfect. No issues with the bushings or the thrust bearing. Also I was able to get rebuild kits from Cxracing for $35. The kits included shaft bushings, thrust bushing and all o-rings and hardware to put them back together. Just thought I'd share that they seem to be holding up great and it is possible to get parts for them which is what I think everybody wonders. Clay
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay,
Why are you driving to work on Easter Sunday?

Why Chinese turbos?

Replacement parts are nice to be able to get. How much time is on these turbos to need parts replaced?

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to work about every holiday. The plant shuts down on Easter (1 - 2 days), July 4th (3 - 4 days), Thanksgiving (2 - 4 days), and Christmas (about a week and a half) which means maintenance has to do work we can't do when it's running. Most of it is PM related work but there is a good bit of modification and new installation which is usually what I get involved in. I've never had to work Christmas day or New Years day though.
I bought these turbos basically as a test because they were cheap ($300 ish to the door). I mainly used them to fabricate everything I needed and thought if they quit I would buy Garrett's or something name brand to replace them. I downloaded Garrett's catalogue to verify all the mounting dimensions were the same when I started.
I started running these turbos around Oct. 09. I'm not sure how many miles - I have a picture of the odometer around that time but honestly it won't be a lot - I would guess 3 - 4 thousand. I would guess probably 50 1/8th mile passes and half a dozen 1/4 mile passes and if I'm driving it on the street I'm playing but still not a lot of time really. Paranoia and not knowing is the reason more than anything I tore them down. They really didn't need anything replaced other that one o-ring but the kits were so cheap. Now that I know they look like they should hold up very well, I don't plan on looking at them again. Clay

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, I went back to 2010 looking for the build and didn't find it! I did not even think it was 2009!! Shocked
Thanks for putting up the info and that is pretty awesome. I am going to build an engine to run those towards the end of the year. The machine shop I use owes me all the machine work from keeping their equipment running for the last 3 years after getting all the machine work done in 2005 for the engine I am running now. Nice to have the machine work in the hole. I will probably have to hit you up with a 2 Carb blow thru setup though. Cool
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to help any way I can. 10sec.et is going through converting a carb to blow through right now so he will be a really good resource also. You won't really need two carbs unless you just want it for the looks. It might take some figuring out but I'm sure it can be done. Clay
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I have rebuilt countless China turbos over the years and have yet to see one fail do to poor assembly or cheap materials..

might help you sleep a little better Very Happy

joe

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1 wrote:
FYI I have rebuilt countless China turbos over the years and have yet to see one fail do to poor assembly or cheap materials..

might help you sleep a little better Very Happy

joe

Joe, good to see you back.
Chadwards

539.30 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the problem with china turbos isnt the quality of materials or assembly or even the balence. the problem with china turbos is it seems like they arnt very efficent. the power they claim and the real world is kinda skewed. especially compaired to say a garret of the same size.

i saw a guy who put a china turbo on a car that the vtec feed the turbo with oil. they burned up a garret in 2 pulls put a china turbo on it and it lasted a few days.. then they discovered their error
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: