Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

New weird problem HELP!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
I am too embarrassed to tell what the problem was or how I didn't see it after the first one broke. Suffice it to say I am a bone head! And it is fixed I think.

I am waiting so my blind eyes might not be tricked..........

There is no bone head in auto unless you do the wrong thing twice. Or 3 times... Embarassed

Last edited by af2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
I am too embarrassed to tell what the problem was or how I didn't see it after the first one broke. Suffice it to say I am a bone head! And it is fixed I think.

awww hell naw, you gotta spill it now popcorn

Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you count the original time putting the engine in,plus the 2 times taking the trans back out........(adds up to 3) I am a bone head. Shocked
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. One thing I don't say anymore is "that can't happen". Between working on equipment in the tiremine for 23 years and messing with cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc. I've seen a bunch of weird stuff and I can't imagine what you guys that work on cars daily have to deal with. Clay
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Embarassed Question Question
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Knarley Darley wrote:

I am waiting so my blind eyes might not be tricked..........

There is no bone head in auto unless you do the wrong thing twice. Or 3 times... Embarassed

Sorry I meant every time.... Spill the beans for heavens sake as Grandma used to say!!! Laughing
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many dowel pins does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of lining up a transmission? 2 crunch The world may never know. I swear they were both in there when I stabbed the new engine the first time, but it didn't go in easy, and I must have lost one trying to muscle it into place.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats just an oversight. heres a few bone headed stunts ive seen over the years....

leave a rag under the intake after an intake job which gets shredded by the cam and ends up clogging the pickup screen.

forget to put in oil after an oil change and the engine locks up while youre washing your hands.

ignore the torque specs on the crank bolt on an Audi and just use the impact. two weeks later it comes loose, the timing belt jumps and bends every valve.

put power steering fluid in the brake reservoir in a new Tundra completely voiding the customers warranty on anything that carries brake fluid.

hydrolock an engine and put a rod through the oil pan while trying to clean the throttle body with the engine running.

my own most recent bone headed move was battling a hydro-boost system, that kept aerating the fluid, only to find out that i had the pressure lines backwards.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - just an oversight - don't beat yourself up. I haven't worked on a ton of engines - however I have never seen a dowel come out of the block so I could see me missing that one too. Thanks for sharing as that's how we learn. Clay
89Gmcsierra

2274.42 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funniest i've seen was low knowledge guy going from an edelbrock to a holley hooked up the fuel and PCV hose backwards. and thing that was confusing me was it ran :S but ill say the inside of the block after he spun a bearing was clean as hell and 2-3 gallons of gas in it of course.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89Gmcsierra wrote:
funniest i've seen was low knowledge guy going from an edelbrock to a holley hooked up the fuel and PCV hose backwards. and thing that was confusing me was it ran :S but ill say the inside of the block after he spun a bearing was clean as hell and 2-3 gallons of gas in it of course.

Probably getting enough fuel in the air being sucked out of the crankcase by the PCV system to keep the motor running.

I had an employee leave a box end wrench in the lifter valley of a big Cadillac V-8 that cost me a lot of money to replace. I have also had to rebuild a motor a salesman at a used car lot had dumped a can of Comet cleaner into the carb while it was running to "reseal" the rings. For some strange reason it blew up about three miles from the used car lot.

I have also had to drive twelve miles from my shop to put five quarts of oil in a customers car that one of my fine employees had changed the oil in, but had neglected to put any oil back in it before giving the keys to the customer to drive home. She had called wondering about the oil light being on all the way home.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also had to drive twelve miles from my shop to put five quarts of oil in a customers car that one of my fine employees had changed the oil in, but had neglected to put any oil back in it before giving the keys to the customer to drive home. She had called wondering about the oil light being on all the way home.

I left the drainplug out and it takes about until quart number 3 until it starts to run out from under the car enough that you see it. With my car trailer story from a few years back and my recent "thermal event" I've done as much (or more) stupid stuff than anybody. Way I look at the only people that don't make mistakes are of course people that don't do anything. I'm sure you're like the rest of us - as you're doing the transmission swap since it's a fairly mundane job you're thinking about at least a half dozen other things from other cars to your wife, kids, etc. and it happens. Clay

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit happens. Don't forget my most recent screwup. Cracking the trans case during and engine in/out while fabbing up the headers. That cost me....
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: