Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

rearends

View previous topic :: View next topic  
75camaro

259.54 points

1975 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: rearends Reply with quote

Hey guys i have a 75 camaro LT i have it currently converted to a v8 originally a strait six manual car now has turbo 350 i've been looking around for a rear end set up cause mines got the pencil neck rearend with the 2.56 posi and im running a 14.6 on a 350 bored 60 over mild cam plan on upgrading 11.5 to 1 comp. 3000 stall just to help out of the hole any advice on which rearend end gear ratio setup to use?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several more questions you'll need to answer first. Are you going to run 1/4 mile only, 1/8th mile only, both or neither? What size rear tire? Is it going to be a race car only or will you want to drive it on the street? Will you plan to add nitrous later? What rpm do you shift at currently and are you planning to stay with the current cam? Are you going to change the cam when you bump the compression and change the stall? Welcome to SMOKEmUP! Clay
75camaro

259.54 points

1975 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 and ya still like to be able to drive it on the street um right now i shift at about 6500 im wanting to change cam and running a 225/60/14 no nitrous right now i finish quarter at the top end of second gear u thinking a 4.10
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.11 with that short of a tire is not going to be fun driving on the street and I don't think you have the rpm capability for it in the 1/4. Are you planing to run slicks in the future and have a taller tire? Have you considered a 200R4 swap? I know you've probably heard that one before but it really is a case of having your cake and eating it too. I would guess 3.55 with your current tire size but you are going to have to guess how much you are going to speed up with the engine changes. Your question is a perfect reason to try the calculators on here. One of them is "Speed for RPM range comparing rear gears" and it lets you compare your current setup to any other tire size, rear gear setup you want. There are a lot of others on there to play with too. I'll be happy to take a stab at what you need but you know more about your car than any of us do. Clay
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a 8.5" 10 bolt,they are a descent rear but yours will need many upgrades starting with ratio
where are you located????
Even with an overdrive trans you wil need a 28" tall tire for a 6500 rpm motor

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree!

The rear end from the factory was a corporate ten bolt 8.5 inch rear end with 28 spline axles. If you are going to upgrade to a three series gear and are going to be buying a posi anyway then consider adding 30 spline axles (or 31 spline posi and axles from Moser). The three series 8.5 inch 10 bolt corporate carrier can handle up to a 4.56:1 rear axle ratios (though you would be happier with a 3.73 or maybe even a 3.55 gear choice with a 200R4 tranny). As Paul stayed above you can not beat a 200R4 with a stick when it is properly built for your application. Low first gear for great out of the hole acceleration and the best OD ratio of any of GM's trannies.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Agree!

The rear end from the factory was a corporate ten bolt 8.5 inch rear end with 28 spline axles. If you are going to upgrade to a three series gear and are going to be buying a posi anyway then consider adding 30 spline axles (or 31 spline posi and axles from Moser). The three series 8.5 inch 10 bolt corporate carrier can handle up to a 4.56:1 rear axle ratios (though you would be happier with a 3.73 or maybe even a 3.55 gear choice with a 200R4 tranny). As Paul stayed above you can not beat a 200R4 with a stick when it is properly built for your application. Low first gear for great out of the hole acceleration and the best OD ratio of any of GM's trannies.

I think you meant "As Clay stayed above" Laughing

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct as usual. Sorry Clay!

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: