Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Paul reached a goal, the old guy didn't !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe New England Dragway can't handle 2 SMOKEmUP members at the same time Very Happy
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did a compression check and leakdown test on my 408. All cylinders had a leakdown of 5-6%. Compression on 6 cylinders was 195. The other two were at 190. Next I'm going to check the valve spring pressures. We had a friend that picked up a bunch of MPH years ago because his springs had gone away. The 408 can still pull to 7000RPM. We'll see. I remember that Adam had suggested we look there.

Driving
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good! When I ran a 200R4, the forward clutch gave up and it failed in a way it was almost impossible to detect. Mine did as you describe - just slow down for no explainable reason. Followed your path almost exactly until I finally gave up and looked at the transmission and all I can figure is the forward clutch was just sort of "creeping" instead of outright slipping because I couldn't feel it. I say this because you are right where I had problems - high 10's. When I called Transgo and told him what I had found his first question is are you almost in the 10's. I said I run low low 7's - high 6's in the 1/8th so yeah around there. He said that's when most people call us and there's not a lot you can do without spending a LOT of money. Hope this isn't your problem but if you exhaust everything else something to look at. Clay
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Valve Springs checked out fine. I'm using Patriot Gold dual valve springs with titanium retainers (PN # PAT-8401) I measured 135 @ 1.800 and 375 @ 1.150 which put them right on the money per their site.

Clay, the tranny was just done with billet stuff. Supposed to be good for 800 horsepower. I don't know who makes the converter but I am able to footbrake it to about 3200 RPM.

The only thing evident is that there is a noticeable difference in exhaust sound. It was considerably louder last season. I'm figuring that has something to do with the loss of power.

We're going to look into the electrical system. I've noticed a pitch change in the fuel pump when I kick on the dual electric fans. I also have the ignition system and the fuel pump on the same circuit.

Driving
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that on the transmission (and spings too). When I was trying the 200R4 it didn't have quite the aftermarket support it does now and I was using all stock parts - about the best factory parts but still factory stuff none the less. I don't know what type of mufflers you have but how about a baffle coming loose and partially blocking exhaust flow. Maybe a wad of packing came loose and has something partially blocked. Long shots but trying to think along the lines of you saying it's quieter. Clay
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 3 inch system from the headers to where they exit after the rear tires. The mufflers are Hooker and they are straight through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: