Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Summer plans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Summer plans Reply with quote

Took the car out twice in the last few weeks and my luck wasn't as good as Jeeps. I did get a 6.14 with a 1.41 60' about a year ago but that was with new tires. Now they have a little age on them and it sucks. The weather wasn't great (but decent) and best I could get was a 6.28 with a 1.52 60'. It was shaking the tires through low and several car lengths into second. This leads me to my summer plans and what has to happen - lose weight. Right now it's 3900 give or take. It's 54% front, 46% rear. Here are my plans to lose weight on the front.

Remove intercooler and use water injection and/or c-16 - lose 25 lbs.
Fiberglass hood (current hood 45 lbs) - guessing lose 25 lbs.
Hood hinges - maybe 10 lbs. for both
Wilwood brakes - around 30 lbs.
Fiberglass bumper (current bumper and brackets 27 lbs.) - lose 15 lbs. guessing

This is 105 total. If I drop the GearVendors that is 50 lbs and passenger seat is 35 lbs. I should be right at 200 lbs. all in front of the driver. I can add about 100 lbs. in the trunk behind the axle and it actually takes about 20 - 30 lbs. off the front end. By dropping the intercooler I can get the turbo inlets to the front of the car and pull in cool air and get maybe some slight ram effect (I know this will be minimal. This is my plan to try for an 8.99 in the fall. Right now I don't stand a chance. It won't 60' like it needs to and I don't think I have enough power left in it to get it there at it's current weight. I'll start a new post and be taking pictures as I update everything. I have to get new front springs as the Moroso's sagged until I couldn't drive it on the street anymore and I have stock replacement springs in now. I have also bought an official water injection system that ramps up with boost that should help things spool faster on the line. We'll see and I'll keep everyone updated. Clay

Edit: Forgot the clear plastic valve covers.......they ought to be worth a tenth Rolling Eyes . I had to leave that post for a while for pure entertainment value.

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good diet plan for the Nova.

I just want to get up and running. Headers should be done this weekend. All that is left is pulling the motor and welding up the collectors now that they have been located under the car. The ends are right at the cross member. I might cut and notch it to avoid any clearance issues. I kind of want to leave the primaries long. These will go out to be coated along with the adapter plates and long tapered reducers from Torque Tech that go from 3 1/2" to 3" diameter. I have been holding on to these since I purchased the system many years ago.

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
William Jones

28456.50 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like a good plan the weight off the nose should help the 60ft. Are you going to turn the boost up to try for that 8.99? What has been your best mph in the 1/4 and 1/8? I need to build a turbo setup for my car and ditch the Nitrous plans.

Paul man it will be great to hear you got your car running again keep at it not to much more to get there. I won't start putting mine back together until late this year or early next depending on if I get my sons car done and the new motor done for my Dads Falcon.

P.S Im surprised you guys got rid of the clear valve cover post I figured you chevy guys would be all over that kinda stuff since yall are into the bells and whistles LOL. Ford guys only care about how it runs thats why nobody bothers making fancy stuff for us. Razz

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Jones sir......i believe you have a chivy 383 to work on, show us some pics w/those clear covers........that is all!!!!

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr Jones sir......i believe you have a chivy 383 to work on, show us some pics w/those clear covers........that is all!!!!

Ha!! Good memory!! I forgot he had worked on a Chebby. Sooner or later all the Ford guys come around Wink . Hopefully he's just starting with the Chevy valve covers then the next logical step is either BBC or SBF so there is hope for you yet Laughing .With the turbo setup and new tires I got a 1.42 60' but I can't duplicate it. Haven't gotten any good 1/4 mph's with this setup but I have gone slightly over 115 in the 1/8th at 16 lbs. on a pretty solid pass. I don't have a problem going to a little over 20 if the turbo's will make it (and I think it will take everything I can make to go 8.99) but so far there hasn't been any reason to lean on it until I can get the thing to launch. I think the 60' needs to be at least mid 1.30's but I'm hoping for low 1.30's.
Paul - My buddy has a complete Torque Tech system on his 72 Monte Carlo - there stuff is nice and fits pretty well. The 3" tailpipes are super tight going through the control arms and around the gas tank but they clear everything with careful assembly - no extra bending or "massaging" required. I can't wait until you and 10sec.et get running - sounds like it's going to be an interesting fall for everybody. Clay

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:

Paul - My buddy has a complete Torque Tech system on his 72 Monte Carlo - there stuff is nice and fits pretty well. The 3" tailpipes are super tight going through the control arms and around the gas tank but they clear everything with careful assembly - no extra bending or "massaging" required. I can't wait until you and 10sec.et get running - sounds like it's going to be an interesting fall for everybody. Clay

I have had that Torque Tech for so long now I forget when I bought it. I am temped to go with their 3 1/2" system because if I want to hook up the 3" I have I will have to cut it. Not sure if cutting it is a good idea. It might be worth more selling it as is and moving up to the bigger pipes. Torque Tech says the 3" system is good for 575HP. I know I will have more than that based on the numbers for the heads that are now on the motor.

William Jones wrote:

P.S Im surprised you guys got rid of the clear valve cover post I figured you chevy guys would be all over that kinda stuff since yall are into the bells and whistles LOL. Ford guys only care about how it runs thats why nobody bothers making fancy stuff for us. Razz

Bam

My other car is a Ford. Everything on either of my cars is there for a reason. Strictly function not fashion for me.

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats 1 portly nova,thats 3900 with you in it i hope?
What weighs so much in the rear (46%)?????

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, on your weight removal, you could cut the braces out of the hood, and use hood pins with some small hinges from an import. you will need a hood prop. thats what i did to mine. dont know if that sounds like anything you want to try on your car but it definitely removed a crap load of weight on my land barge. if you like the AC and heat, you could go with a Vintage Air unit. i think the whole underdash unit weighs less than 10 lbs. especially if you get the compact ones.

i have most of mine done. all belts and accessories done. SC plumbing & intercooler is done except for water hoses. i need to finish up my vacuum lines to the brake booster and crankcase vent. after that its the BRPV stuff.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with a pin on fiberglass hood for now. No A/C box left under the hood, still have the stuff under the dash but I seriously doubt I'll ever put it back on. The weight is with me in it and I don't really know where the weight came from - it just sorta added up I guess. I have springs, shocks and brakes on the way. I ordered the springs from moneymakerracing. I'll start another post on that phone call. They're a small business that seem to be very knowledgable and helpful. We'll see. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: