Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

351c heads on a 351w

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sourshop

2487.18 points

1964 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: 351c heads on a 351w Reply with quote

I bought a set of 351c 4bbl heads (D1AE I believe). I've heard from a few racers that these heads will fit on a Winsor block with some mild machine work. I don't know for a fact because I've never seen it done. And everyone seems to have an opinion about this.
I would truly like to hear from someone that knows or has actually done this before. Thanks!

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 351c heads on a 351w Reply with quote

sourshop wrote:
I bought a set of 351c 4bbl heads (D1AE I believe). I've heard from a few racers that these heads will fit on a Winsor block with some mild machine work. I don't know for a fact because I've never seen it done. And everyone seems to have an opinion about this.
I would truly like to hear from someone that knows or has actually done this before. Thanks!

They will fit on any small block Ford. Go to 1/2" bolts though.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a water passage that is the problem. Seems like there is a square passage in the deck that needs to be bored round and a welch plug (freeze plug) knocked in. Then a passage needs to be drilled in the intake face to circulate coolant through the front of the intake on the Windsor. Officially it's called a Clevor setup. I have worked on a Boss 302 and while it was kinda soggy down low it would get pretty impressive above 5000. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More information. Clay

http://www.darkhorseracing.net/clevor_head_mod.htm

sourshop

2487.18 points

1964 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you clay, that site is very helpful and informative.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are ya located again
i know a guy doin this work as we speak

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run this setup quite a few times and as far as stock small block heads there are none better. My current motor has aftermarket Cleveland heads on a windsor block. I also have to sets of iron heads that are going on projects. One of the issues you will find when doing this is finding intake manifolds and headers since the stock cleveland manifold was designed for a 9.2 deck. Price motor sports sells plates to make the Cleveland intake work on a 9.5 deck. There are some manifolds out there for this combo but they can be expensive. The headers allot of times end up being custom or modified units. The water passages and steam holes have to be configured but other than that its a cake walk. Now I love the C head and have collected parts for a long time and they can flat out run we run 9.70's N/A on one of our 409ci motors and that was with very minor work done to the ports.

Now heres the but!! I usually refrain from telling people to run them since they can be expensive when you factor in the cost for pistons, headers, manifold, and the machine work to make them compatible for screw in studs and the windsor block. There are so many aftermarket heads out there that can make good power and in the long run you end up spending less running the traditional windsor head. For me I spent allot of money and collected allot of parts to run them but now looking back I should have stayed with the windsor stuff.

The Cleveland was the baddest stock small block head ever made until Chevy came out with the LS heads.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good part about having something oddball like a Clevor is the fun you can have at the track or a carshow. When you have someone that walks up and starts asking, it's amazing what you can make up and they'll believe it Laughing . Clay
sourshop

2487.18 points

1964 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sqeezer, I'm in Corsicana Tx, about an hour south of Dallas.
William, thanks for the striaght forward. I too, prefer spending less over spending more to do the same thing. I will start a list for price comparison.
You also mentioned the LS heads. I've been curious about them for sometime now. Were they featured heads or did they put them on many different blocks. I don't know much about them. I wouldn't even know if I had some in my collection of parts.

William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LS head is the new small block Chevy head for the current small block.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: