Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

customer supplied parts *rant*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: customer supplied parts *rant* Reply with quote

we have a 57 Chevy in the shop thats been there for over a year. its one of those customer supplied parts deals. he brings us a LS7 and 4L60E trans to put in it. doesnt want to pay to modify the firewall and tunnel so everything is REALLY tight.

his engine looks like some pile out of a junkyard. we suggested he let us send it to our guy to check out. oh no, that costs too much ($1500). so, i put the engine on the stand to replace the oil pan (needed a different one to clear Art Morrison chassis crossmember). turn it upside down and hear large metal objects rolling around. take it apart and its missing the rockers. the lifters and pushrods are just rolling around everywhere. its also missing the oil pump and pickup tube.

at this point, we have the 'builder" pick it up and bring it back complete. it comes back and i find the intake bolts are too long and they are crammed into the pushrods. now the threads are screwed up and i have to run a tap through all the intake bolt holes. correct bolts and that issue is solved.

put the engine back in and get to the converter bolts. the engine only makes a 1/4 turn in both directions. pull it back out and find the stroked crank is hitting the windage tray. change the windage tray and put the engine back in.

finally get everything hooked up and wired and try to fire it. it spins over and pops back through the intake like a gen I with the distributor 180 out. i spend a ridiculous ammount of time working on the tune, call several people and this thing still wont start.

while on the phone with our EFILive guy, we get to discussing the differences in early and late ECM/PCM controllers. he mentions how the LS1 crank had a 24x reluctor and the LS7 had a 58x reluctor............ Shocked Idea ........... ill be damned if this thing didnt have an aftermarket crank with the 24x reluctor Head Bang Evil or Very Mad.

good thing he saved that $1500 by not sending it to our engine guy Rolling Eyes . now he can double that for what its taken to fix one thing at a time disgusted .

William Jones

28456.50 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that sucks I feel bad for you brother I get crap like that to sometimes. Hopefully its all worked out now and you can finish it up.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - snowballs suck! I've had a few also and it's aggravating to work on something like that out when you spend so much time trying to find out what you have. Since you advised him otherwise up front - I wouldn't lose any sleep charging him all you can. However I'm glad you have gotten your butt kicked so much as it makes you fantastic at finding weird problems (like finding the swapped 02's on Dad's 48 - thanks again) Very Happy Very Happy . Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one good thing that came from this latest issue is that it caused me to spend a crapload of time learning how to tune with EFILive. im no pro by a longshot but ive come a long way in the two weeks ive had the software. i just KNEW i was doing something wrong with the tune smoking Rolling Eyes Laughing .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: