Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

What do you guys think this engine is worth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knarley Darley

538658.88 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: What do you guys think this engine is worth Reply with quote

It is a 486" BB Chevy that makes almost 1100 horsepower naturally asperated. The bore is 4.500, and the stroke is 3.820. It has a Bryant billet fully profiled crank, manley super 70 aluminum rods, JE pistons, tool steel tapered wrist pins. The block is a dedicated race block that has been fully profiled meaning every surface inside and out has been machined on a C&C mill it has the bosses for the extra bolts that screw into the under side of the heads in the valley, the lifter bores are trued and bushed, the deck is "O" ringed and the heads have reciever grooves. It has a Jesel belt drive, and a solid roller cam. The compression is 17 to 1. Also has a Hamburgers 3 stage dry sump pan with crank scraper, and a 3 stage Moroso dry sump pump and tank. Fisher balancer, and MSD crank trigger, a Tilton starter, and pioneer SFI flex plate round out the short block. The heads are conventional GM aluminum Bow tie that E.P.D. (engine prototype development) radically modified to flow 473 intake and 330 exhaust at .800 lift. They also reduced the chambers to 86 CCs and welded the deck surface and rolled them about 10 more degrees than stock. Also the exhaust ports were massively welded and worked and raised .750. They have Titanium intake, and exhaust valves as well as retainers, and Jesel shaft mounted rockers and welded stands. The manifold and carbs were done by Sonny Leonard, and the manifold is sheet metal (aluminum) The carbs were conventional 1050s, and he cut them in half so it has split carbs now (Four 2bbl carbs) The engine is used, but in good condition and turn key with about 25 passes on it. What would be a sell it pretty fast price in the current market for some one looking for a dedicated drag race engine?
Big Dave

116740.34 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that any one would buy it that way as fast as you could sell it by taking it all apart and selling every part of it individually on e-bay (in other words it is worth more as a pile of parts than it is all together, and you would recoup the most money the fastest that way).

No one will give you a dime for a Hamburg pan if they already have a stock one; but find someone looking to convert over to a dry sump system and they will pay you a lot more for that pan than you can get for a stock Chevy oil pan. Apply this same rational to every part and you will get back more of the money you put into it than you will selling it as a used motor.

Your other alternative is to buy an insurance policy for the price of the parts pile that went into the motor, and few bucks for your time, and sell it as a new motor already dynoed and ready to go. Your price for the policy depends upon how many you buy and how many claims you have from past policies (so the first few are more expensive to buy).

Big Dave
Knarley Darley

538658.88 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. Your points are well taken. However it has just been reassembled after inspection, and when I say dedicated race block, I mean it. The block has no provision for a internal oil pump at all. The Manifold is worthless without the heads, and so on. So to answer my original question, what is it worth? Believe me I am more than realistic about the price. So give me a number.
Paul P

74163.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20k is my guess.
I know it cost more but it depends on what someone is willing to pay for it in this economy. With used aluminum rods? That would be my only worry. I know with Mike C's 60 Impala he found out the hard way about 25 passes and change em out.

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Knarley Darley

538658.88 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul if I could get 10k for it I would be doing back flips. It has the Manley Nitrous rods and it has only been run NA so I put 150-200 runs on them before I change them. The valves, lifters, springs, and bearings only have 5 passes since new. I have a 67 Camaro with a 500" Pro Stock engine in it (almost 1200 horse) and all the good parts to back it up with 3 runs on the fresh rebuild including rods (BME) and I did not get a single call at 25,000 turn key for a 10" tire car that runs 8.40s on the motor, and its a 67 Camaro. The 486 engine has about 36,000 dollars worth of parts and machine work in it if you were to build it from scratch now. The engine in the car now (the 500 incher) cost over 40,000. So here is a free car and a engine for almost half price! LOL But you know the old saying "Do you know how to make a million dollars drag racing"? SPEND TWO MILLION. Like I said to Dave, I am not looking to make a killing, I am ready to SELL
10sec.et

339215.86 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people just dont seem to be buying engines. i know of two that are collecting dust. neither have ever had a drop of fuel in them, built with all good parts and nobody will touch them. too many rip-offs i guess. as Dave said, youre better off parting out.

af2

66771.96 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
Paul if I could get 10k for it I would be doing back flips. It has the Manley Nitrous rods and it has only been run NA so I put 150-200 runs on them before I change them. The valves, lifters, springs, and bearings only have 5 passes since new. I have a 67 Camaro with a 500" Pro Stock engine in it (almost 1200 horse) and all the good parts to back it up with 3 runs on the fresh rebuild including rods (BME) and I did not get a single call at 25,000 turn key for a 10" tire car that runs 8.40s on the motor, and its a 67 Camaro. The 486 engine has about 36,000 dollars worth of parts and machine work in it if you were to build it from scratch now. The engine in the car now (the 500 incher) cost over 40,000. So here is a free car and a engine for almost half price! LOL But you know the old saying "Do you know how to make a million dollars drag racing"? SPEND TWO MILLION. Like I said to Dave, I am not looking to make a killing, I am ready to SELL

Can I make payments? That fucher is bad a$$!

Bruce, I will keep an eye out. Adam
clay

316585.61 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to ask some buddies at work about this one as it's pretty much out of my range of knowledge. Together we pretty much came up with the same figure as Paul - 18K - 20K. 10K sounds like a fantastic deal to me. That's one heck of an engine. I wish I could afford it to put on a stand and run it occasionally for a fix. Listening to engines like that running are better than drugs to me. I'll keep my ears open but I don't know a lot of people looking for something like that or even that have a car capable of handling something like that. I really hope you get it sold. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

63005.68 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is going to get one heck of a deal.
Knarley Darley

538658.88 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I listed it for 10,000 with a ton of spares, like the coated headers, extra valve sets, retainers, pushrods, 3 sets of lifters, extra top for the manifold for dual conventional dominators, extra linkage ect. I will take less if I have to, I just want to sell at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: