Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

700 R transmission please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trusty12

206.52 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: 700 R transmission please help Reply with quote

Ok so I know just enough to get in trouble. I have a 1990 chevy 1500. the fly wheel was cracked and the bell housing was broken so i bought a used tranny to replace it both transmissions are 700-R it came with a new TQ converter. Installed it and everything went well everything lines up bolted in no problems. So just wanted to give you the hole story.
the problem is truck starts right up when i put it in gear the shifter will not go past R and the transmission is in drive but when i turn the truck off it goes to N. the only thing im un sure of there is an electric connector on the back of the transmission has 4 ports only 3 wires but the connection inside the trans is not fixed it is free floating and cant confirm if the connection is made could this be the problem.

Thanks
Mark
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 700R4 trans is not electronically controlled so if youre having problems shifting it into gear, its a linkage problem. start by disconnecting the shift linkage at the trans, WITH ENGINE OFF AND WHEELS CHOCKED, and see how well the shift lever on the trans moves by hand. if that works normally then check the rest of your linkage up to the column.

trusty12

206.52 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i did what you said and the trans lever will go forward and back by hand with no problem I don't know what normal is but it is easy by hand. with the linkage disconnected i can shift thru the gears with ease i reconnected it and had the same results. It will go to R half way to N but thats all i et out of it
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When things went bad cracked case ect. Did the trans move out of position possibly bending the linkage? That kind of seems to be the issue.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
trusty12

206.52 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning i rechecked the linkage and there is a slot in the frame where the linkage mounts and i missed that last time. so thank you for the information i just have to get some more fluid and its all working good.

really appreciate the info
Thanks,
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: