Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

454 heads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wreckless

271.40 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: 454 heads Reply with quote

I am building a new 454 Gen VI and im having a little trouble deciding on the best heads to go with for a street/ strip type of application. Can anyone suggest a few things for me?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

62605.62 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What heads are you considering?
What is your budget?
What application? Street? Strip?

Big Dave

116203.76 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under 500 cubes consider the PASS oval port heads. 3964290, and the 3931063 heads are some of the best you will find. They will probably need to be rebuilt so I would do a five angle valve job and replace the valves with smaller stem size tuliped stainless steel units from Manley in either a 2.19 or 2.25 inch intake size and a 1.70 to 1.88 inch exhaust valve then press in hardened seats to burn unleaded gas. If they need new guides (they will if you use smaller stems on your valves to reduce weight and friction) you can press in cast iron replacements or drill it out and use Silicon-Bronze guides. I would also cut the top of the guides for perfect circle Teflon oil seals.

While you are rebuilding the heads you can actually move the valve center-lines and change the angle of the valves with relation to the chamber to use even bigger valves (say 2.30/1.90 inch valves or larger). The stock valves in a 454 passenger head are not much bigger than a small block Chevy (2.02 compared to a 2.07 intake and a 1.60 compared to a 1.70 exhaust). So increasing valve size really allows the BBC head to flow.

Just be sure to Magnaflux the heads before you put any money in them, and compare an aftermarket aluminum head that has the already enlarged valves installed. You don't want to pay more for an old cast iron head than you would for a shinny new aluminum one. So your price on parts and machine work needs to be researched first before you make a descission.

Big Dave
af2

66517.86 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEN VI?

Will the IV work?
Big Dave

116203.76 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
GEN VI?

Will the IV work?

Good catch Adam! I'm getting ever more dislexic in my old age.

Nope you can not put a '290 head on a Gen VI block. It is a Peanut port head off another Gen V or Gen VI block (which is only good for a door stop), or an aftermarket head with a set of adapter head gaskets that have both cooling holes in them. Which really simplifies his decission.

I known Smoke is gonna hate me but Edelbrock has the most head for the buck; especially if you can get it at a good price through GMPP as a Signature Series head; Chevy P/N 12363390.

These Bow Tie heads have 2.25 intakes 1.88 exhaust small 110 cc chambers 290 cc CNC Roval ports and raised 0.300" exhaust ports.

Big Dave
wreckless

271.40 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: 454 heads Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer RMP PN: 605419 series heads with rectangular intake ports for high RPM's. They have a 315cc intake runner, 118cc combustion chamber and 110cc exhaust chamber. Its gona be more of a street and DD type of vehicle but still want to be able to take it to a track if i want. I wanted to get them brand new so that i wont have to do much machining work. I was looking at spending around 8-1000 bucks for the pair. The block that I have is a 454 Gen VI, I dont know if heads from other Gen block types will fit so this is what ive been searching for. I deployed so I am limited to internet shopping right now and cant get to a speed shop. Im fairly new to this so all advice is needed and appreciated!
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: BBC Heads Reply with quote

I have to say I'm partial to Dart but you may want to look into the Dart Iron Eagle Platinum heads as well, the 308cc head. Depending on what spring you run the price is also right where you want it.

IMHO

Corey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: