Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

so, how do your manual brakes "feel"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: so, how do your manual brakes "feel" Reply with quote

both in pedal feel as well as braking performance???

been a long time since i operated manual brakes

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine actually pretty good. Now it originally came with drum brakes all around and manual operation - that combination absolutely sucked. Switched to factory disc brakes on the front and that was a nice improvement. Then I had a hose go bad and do the check valve thing and decided to rebuild the calipers, upgraded to braided hoses and added a rotor and pad kit from SSBC. Again a nice improvement. Initial bite was about the same but as the pads heated up you can tell they start to grab a little better and help out with reducing pedal pressure at the track in a high speed stop. Still not power brakes but all in all they work pretty good. Sorry for the usual ramble, anything specific you wanted to know? Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual brakes with aftermarket parts or parts from another vehicle (corvette master) never seem to feel like they are going to stop. maybe it just takes some getting used to but i will NEVER have a vehicle with manual brakes.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BORE SIZE has everything to do with stopping on manual brakes.

7/8" 15/16" is pretty much what is needed. I think the Corvette is at least 1'' and too big.
bosshoss

3193.32 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the best results with a 7/8 bore as Adam said. (and I have tried more than I care to admit)
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the factory master on the Nova. It was originally a manual brake car and I believe it has a 1" bore. Power brakes had a 1 1/16" bore - sound about right? Also there is a different connection point on the pedal for the pushrod between manual and power that changes the mechanical advantage. One thing I had trouble with when I added disc brakes on the front were the residual pressure valves. I pulled the one out of the master I had on the car at the time for the front brakes and all was well. A year or two that one went bad and the replacement I bought at either Advance or Autozone didn't have the residual valve in either port and this was a drum brake front and rear application. I put it on for the heck of it and it took a pump of the pedal to get brakes (no surprise here). Now I absolutely know what it's like talking to a stump because that's what it was like trying to explain to the parts person why the part they were selling me was wrong. I gave up and put an inline residual valve in the rear brakes and for some reason they were better than ever. Another trick we learned from a brake company at the Charlotte Auto Fair (can't remember which one - maybe Stainless Brakes) is to run the cheapest pad you can buy. I'm talking about the $10 a set ones. He said they have the best initial bite and pedal feel. Now of course they don't last as long but that's not really a problem on a car that gets driven a thousand miles a year - another plus is they are really easy on rotors. Clay
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched out my rear drums for the willwood rear discs
I followed wilwoods directions too a tee
They called for a 1.030 bore master (chrysler style)
this is for 4 piston rear and 1or 2 piston fronts
And to switch the outlet ports on the master,because my rear caliper pistons have more surface area than the front stickers
Not to mention my. Rear tires are way bigger than my fronts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: