Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Latest Bowman testing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Latest Bowman testing Reply with quote

Had a great day at the track today. Since last time out I have changed the rear from 3.73 to a 3.42. Also changed the 5 leaf rear spring to the Cal-trac split monoleaf's. I had the maximum boost set for about 15 1/2 lbs. since I was just working on 60' times. I had a few passes that got a little above 115 mph in the 1/8th so to me that shows the gear change was a move in the right direction. The gear plus the springs also got the 60' from a previous best of 1.49 with the turbo setup to a 1.41 now. It has gone a 1.40 with the Procharger so I'm close. The 1.41 pass yielded a 6.16 e.t. too so it's starting to come around. Didn't have enough time to try anything else as this pass was about 15 min before the track closed and it has to have time for the tranmission to cool now that I'm using the transbrake to get the turbo's spooled. Plus it's always good to end on a good note. Next time out I'll start putting some more boost in it and that should shave a little more off the 60' and hopefully get into the 5's. I have some video of the launch but frankly it looks mostly like all the other launches - subtle differences in the rear end seperation but Jeep's car is much more fun to look at. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the changes planned for next time. I'm getting another drive shaft made to run without the GearVendors overdrive. It weighs about 40 lbs. but the rotating weight it contains is the main problem. In the past I have run without it and picked up either 0.10 or 0.15 - I can't remember which. I'm also going to make a dump tube of sorts so I can drop the exhaust. This is strictly for weight as I don't think it is a restriction especially being after a turbo. The dump tube is mainly there to incorporate a mount to help support the down pipes. I also plan to run it without the passenger seat or the rear seat for weight. I'm trying to get a feel for what I can get before I start cranking the boost up. I have a line on maybe borrowing a fiberglass hood also. As a last resort I'm going to try to bribe my buddy to drive - he's 50 lb. lighter than I am. I'm doing some research of sorts right now to see if I can run in the 8's in the fall. I'm thinking I need to be in the low 5.80's to mid 5.70's to do it. Clay
Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the American Thunder 2.5" FlowMaster system....last day at the track for me last year I blew off a muffler/tail pipe assembly. Instead of fighting to get it back on I yanked the other muffler off so it was headers and H-pipe only........NO change at all for me losing the 50-75# and restriction Sad

But I do wish you luck Smile

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's free to try. Here are a few pics.

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, sounds like your getting that thing sorted out pretty well. an 8 second street car is just way too Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

BTW, im getting closer on mine so im going to have to start picking your brain on the blow-through.

Skunkworkx wrote:
I have the American Thunder 2.5" FlowMaster system....last day at the track for me last year I blew off a muffler/tail pipe assembly. Instead of fighting to get it back on I yanked the other muffler off so it was headers and H-pipe only........NO change at all for me losing the 50-75# and restriction Sad

But I do wish you luck Smile

i wonder if you did a bit of tuning (jets/timing/collector length) if it would have made a difference.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car looks great. It's very tough to tell by looking at the car and tell how fast it is. Without knowing anything and seeing the roll bar I'd guess low 11's to high 10's, but knocking on the 8 second door, that's amazing! Nice job I'm not worthy

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, im getting closer on mine so im going to have to start picking your brain on the blow-through.

Sure no problem - just let me know what you need. Here is the latest test for this Friday. I took off everything I could and here are the weights.

GearVendors - 50 lbs. (Probably 20 rotating)
Exhaust - 60 lbs.
Pass Seat - 35 lbs.
Rear Seat - 40 lbs.
Toolbox - 10 lbs.
Weight brackets - 10 lbs.
Total = 205 lbs.

Hopefully this will help everything - 60' included. Should be able make it into the 5's - hopefully. So far the weather forcast looks good so we'll see. Clay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: