Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Swapped in another rearend, odd noise, pinpointing it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Swapped in another rearend, odd noise, pinpointing it. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I got my hands on another Ford 7.5 rearend complete minus brakes to swap into my daily driver since my spider gears are shot.

It has 4.10 gears and a trac loc in it, otherwise stock. I have an odd noise when making tight slow left turns- as in when turning into a driveway.

Kinda sounds like a groan but it pulses- I would suspect the brakes but they are the ones that were on the car, and I didnt even open the system to swap axles (hung them out of the way and threw old rotors onto new axle) so it seems somewhat unlikely.

Doesnt seem to happen on right turns either, which is leading me away from it being the trac loc. Seems to me a trac loc groaning should happen regardless of turn direction. Maybe I am not hearing it somehow, so I cant rule that out.

I want to think of a wheel bearing being loaded different when turning- not sure.

No other work was done to the car today except topping off the trans when the driveshaft went back in- so I dont suspect anything up front doing it.

Ideas? need more info? I know, vague as I usually am... I am tired and wish the car was done!

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trac lock. Wink
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would try it to change fluid and put in some fresh friction modifier. Maybe one clutch pack or whatever they use in there is more suceptable to making noise. It's a cheap and fairly easy try. Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, trac-loc. my guess would be the left clutch pack. as Clay said, change the fluid with some friction modifier and see what happens. you may have to drive it a few miles before you notice a difference.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I changed the oil when I swapped it in- swapped the axle seals because one looked like it might have had a leak (old dried up film of oil) and at 3.29 a pop I dont want to do them later!

Maybe I need to drive it around some more and change it again...

Thanks for the input. I may be completely over-reacting to the noise but always like some input from those with more experience...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: