Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

.080 over 327?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: .080 over 327? Reply with quote

So, I took my 327 casting #3914678 to the machine shop the other day. This guy is in his 70's and been doing this his whole life. One of the cylinders has tiny deep pit in it. He said it might not clean up at .060 over (block is already .030 over) He said they used to make .080 over pistons for my motor and said he would call around to see if anyone still had a set on the shelf. Have any of you guys heard of someone boring one of these things out that far? Would this be a good idea? Who still makes affordable pistons this size?
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but not for a performance build

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at .080 over id think youd be getting really thin, does he have the capability to sonic check the block?

Cody
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally id get a different block,they are cheap

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several thoughts on this - but unfortunately no hard answer for you.
1. If it only leaves one tiny pit at 0.060" over - don't worry about it. I'm sure that engines have been put together that would absolutley scare everybody and have lived just fine. It may cost a small amount of power - but VERY small. Where is the pit located? Seems like the rule of thumb is 90% of the power is made in the first 1" from TDC. If it's farther down than that, don't bat an eye at not cleaning it up totally.
2. Years ago when 0.080" was more common, heads, intakes, cams, etc. didn't exist as they do today to make the power that can be made. Everything has benefitted from technology as far as power production and cylinder walls now have to be left a little thicker is my thinking.
3. You can do a partial fill on the block. Doing a half fill will cut the unsupported cylinder length in half and will strengthen it tremendously.
4. After the above rambles - the bottom line is that I agree with squeezer - I'd get another block. If I'm right in that a 327 is a 4" bore with a 3.25" stroke, then any 350 block (pre 86 if you have a 2 piece rear seal crank) will work for what you are doing. Depending on what you already have it may be cheaper than getting more pistons or doing the partial fill block. Clay

robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I have several thoughts on this - but unfortunately no hard answer for you.
1. If it only leaves one tiny pit at 0.060" over - don't worry about it. I'm sure that engines have been put together that would absolutley scare everybody and have lived just fine. It may cost a small amount of power - but VERY small. Where is the pit located? Seems like the rule of thumb is 90% of the power is made in the first 1" from TDC. If it's farther down than that, don't bat an eye at not cleaning it up totally.
2. Years ago when 0.080" was more common, heads, intakes, cams, etc. didn't exist as they do today to make the power that can be made. Everything has benefitted from technology as far as power production and cylinder walls now have to be left a little thicker is my thinking.
3. You can do a partial fill on the block. Doing a half fill will cut the unsupported cylinder length in half and will strengthen it tremendously.
4. After the above rambles - the bottom line is that I agree with squeezer - I'd get another block. If I'm right in that a 327 is a 4" bore with a 3.25" stroke, then any 350 block (pre 86 if you have a 2 piece rear seal crank) will work for what you are doing. Depending on what you already have it may be cheaper than getting more pistons or doing the partial fill block. Clay

Agreed 100% , id look for another block, and skip the 327 all together, if budget permits youd be muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh happier with a 383
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'm not sure if he can sonic test it or not. I guess I'll stay at .060 over and see what happens. The suspect was quite a small speck, big enough to feel with your finger, probably a millimeter or smaller. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and maybe look for another block. I guess I could sell the crank and rods and odds and ends and buy some stuff to make a 383 or something else.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 pit if it didn't go through the bore is not going to make a difference.

I would not go .080"
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally if this is your first build, I wouldn't do a 383. I would do a basic 350 (or your 327) to get yourself familar with how everything goes together and works. I would much rather you go that route and have fun and learn something than get frustrated in the clearancing work and extra expense that comes with a 383 and give up (it happens). Don't dismiss a well built 350, especially if the budget is really tight. The cheapest route is to get a complete Vortec 350 (not sure of exactly which years - around 99) and do a freshen and cam change. This way you could get your feet wet for a minimum outlay. Figure $500 for a complete engine, chances are you could get away without boring. Add rings, bearings, cam and head machine work and you could be around the 375 - maybe 400 mark for right around $1000. If you pull the heads and the cylinders look good, skip the rings and bearings all together - this brings the price down by probably $200 or so. Not trying to dismiss you building a 327 at all, just offering another option. Clay
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly clay, a 383 isnt a whole bunch more work than a 350. When i first assembled my 383 in highschool there wasnt much clearancing to do at all with my rotating assembly from ohio crank. Id say for the price of a rotating assembly now days its almost stupid to build anything less than a 383. Someone with any amount of mechanical skills can pick up a book and do everything but machining at home.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robins44 wrote:
Someone with any amount of mechanical skills can pick up a book and do everything but machining at home.

I can't read?
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice. I'm still waiting on the diagnosis on my block. I'll keep all of this in mind. If the block is bad, i'll still have the rods and crank and other stuff from the 327, so I figure my best bet is to get another block, and go forward with the 327. Unless you think I could get some money out of the crank and rods and put it toward building something else like the 383 or some kind of 350 variant. We'll see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: