Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Little 383 starts really nice in the winter :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Little 383 starts really nice in the winter :) Reply with quote

So a bit of a long story so hold on. Recently bought a house so the old 383 in the k1500 has been sitting over at the parents in the back field for the last 3 months. Went over to move it down to the garage, had about 3 inches of ice on the hood so i held the hood up with my head as i disconnected the coil wire from the blaster 2 coil. Continued to climb into truck and crank over untile i got 20w50 to make pressure on the gauge. (wish i could have got oil to the top via drill and priming tool, but it was to damn cold and i was in the middle of a field). Continuing on i pumped the heck outta the pedal, turned the pump on and she fired up but didnt wanna idle of course, so i held her at 2500 hoping to get that cam splash lubed with oil. She warmed up nicely and then idled, i continued to put it in 4 low and man this thing is a torque monster in 4 low Very Happy . Anyways i was suprised at how well it did, and i didnt even have to jump or charge battery, needless to say i was very impressed.

Anyways i feel so bad for my flat tappet cam and was just wondering how hard it is on the cam to roll it over to get pressure vs the ideal way of spinning the oil pump with a dril?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably just have started it up. As long as the filter is still full - thanks to a good design by Chevrolet it has to be - and the pan has been full so the pump has been submerged the entire time it should have oil almost instantly. Now if you are going to make it a habit of letting it sit between startups (like my junk sometimes) an oil accumulator is a wonderful thing. It's really nice to be able to open a valve and get oil pressure before you even turn the key. I put one in for that reason and also to prevent that pressure drop during shutdown - works great. Glad to hear you got a house - hate to hear about 3" of ice though - ouch. Clay
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks clay! ive been wanting to install a accumulator for that reason also for awhile, just never got to it. I will most likely pick one up this winter.

Thanks

Cody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: