Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

AFR Heads, Are they any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harold Sutton

2764.18 points

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good head porter can find a bunch more horsepower than the CNC heads come with, and the price shows the amount of effort that went into the final product. Maybe someone started the project and couldn't afford to finish it up. Curtis is very well thought of in head porting circles and used to work for Sonny Leonard doing heads and Pro Stock development work.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Heads Reply with quote

Just an update, Curtis has finished my heads and will be shipping them Monday. I will post pics of them when I get them. I was just talking to Curtis today and he mentioned that these heads , because they are solid, gives him a huge amount of flexibility to do more port work. The thing that blew me away the most is he said, when I find I want to go faster to just send these heads back and he will do some more R&D on them FOR FREE!!! He said it was due to the fact that, up to now he has done these heads only for the monster truck guys and really wants to develop a program that works with a drag race engine.

I am more than willing to oblige him there.

Corey

af2

66939.48 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great Corey!
Good luck this year!
Adam
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I can't wait to hear my engine fire up again, I just hope that I get time to get the whole thing screwed together, been really busy at work.

Cheers
Corey

Knarley Darley

538851.08 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting in late on this one. The Darts are good and I have used them with good results. Just make sure your rocker stand bolts go as close to the bottom of the hole as possible. The bosses will break off and the bolt will pull out of the head with the spring pressure you are running if you are not careful. I have had personal experience with the stands breaking off the heads. Now I make tie bars and weld all the stands together. The Brodix heads have alot more meat in this area and I like them too, they are also very reliable. If you are not running shaft rockers make sure you have a good stud girdle and you will be fine.
Knarley Darley

538851.08 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing is dont try to get away with 3/8 pushrods. I tried them with disasterous results.
Big Dave

116768.90 points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonny Leonard traded a few of his "old" heads to BRODIX and they use his porting as a pattern for their CNC Race Rite heads. The heads he offered were not his latest and greatest design because; first off they are for a 23 head instead of a 18, 14 or an 11 head that most competitors are using. And he probably would like to keep some customers coming back, so he lets Brodix remove a lot of the material first to save him time hogging out the rest of the material for those that do use a 23 head.

Pat Mussi did the same thing at Edelbrock for the Victor heads. And I imagine if Curtis ever wanted some free heads to play with for R&D work Dart or Trick Flow would be willing to trade as well.

Big Dave
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Heads Reply with quote

The set of Heads that these heads replace were also Darts, just an extremely older version. Yes, I had to weld one rocker boss back on until I learned to install fasteners that went completely into the heads. I ran on the repair for about 3 seasons with a .734" lift cam and never had a problem. Once you know the minor faults to the Dart heads they work great. Also we are going to switch to Manton 1/2" to 7/16" taper pushrods and this should be a very reliable valve train.

Corey

nomad239

291.86 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHECK OUT AFR'S 315CNC HEAD.THEY ARE BAD ASS ON SMALLER BIG BLOCK.A DART INTAKE WOULDNT HURT TO BOOT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: