Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Track day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Track day Reply with quote

Had another good track day. After several passes, found 16 p.s.i. worked best for tire pressure and found what appears to be a good shock setting and boost ramp. It has taken me a little bit to get to a good starting point - it's a case of having too much to adjust. Wound up with a 1.40 60' and a 6.18 e.t. at 112.24 m.p.h. with 15 lbs boost. Tweaked it a bit more agressive on the launch but it didn't have as clean of a launch. Here was the problem. A few hundred yards from the track there is a soybean field. Later in the day 3 combines moved in to cut. When the wind changed, everything got covered by dust. The track workers even said the track wasn't as good as earlier in the day. So even though it didn't have a good launch I'm going to blame it on the track for now. Thought about 1 more pass but a Mustang slapped the wall so I put mine on the trailer. I do have video but right now I don't have a good enough signal to upload them - it gets to 40% and locks internet explorer up. I might have to wait until I go to town and try again but I'll get them in a day or two. Clay
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Clay,
You're so much quicker than me. What kind if 60 foot numbers are you looking for?
Do you know what the density altitude figure was? We get good numbers in the spring & fall in New England. Our track is close to sea level.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to move the down pipe from the turbos to under the front bumper so they will blow all that dust off the track Laughing .

what tires are you running ? 16 psi sounds like radial territory.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep - Faster or not, don't think I'm not impressed by your car. I've had a setup like yours with a little smaller engine but I was nowhere near as fast as you are now so I know how much work it took to get there. We have similar conditions. Looking for information from Orangeburg dragstrip which is only about 30 min away, it shows it's elevation is 243 feet and the density altitude yesterday around 3:45 was 28.6 feet. One neat thing about the MSD boost controller is when it powers up, it takes an atmospheric reading as it's reference. For the last two times out, it has been either 14.6 p.s.i. or 14.7 p.s.i. Now this doesn't correct for temp or humidity, it's more barametric pressure, but it gives a good indication anyway. A good track that closed years ago was Cooper River that had an actual elevation of 29 feet. Most of the tracks around the midlands aren't more than a couple hundred feet elevation. I really feel for those guys in Denver cause coming here would probably feel like a small nitrous hit.
10sec.et - One of the video's I have is an excellent shot of the right rear tire. Even with a stiff sidewall slick and 16 p.s.i. it still squashes the tire about 1/2 the sidewall height. It takes probably 60' or more for it to start to straighten out. Plus the tire has a nice even appearance all the way across the tread so I'm going to stay there for now. Clay

Edit - Bowman is listed. Didn't see it before. It's elevation is 167.5 feet and the density altitude for Saturday was -64.9 feet. Just for the heck of it I put in July 30 at 3 pm at same track - 2827 feet density altitude - that's why I don't race in the summer here - misereble conditions.

Last edited by clay on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the video's.

And here's a screen shot of the tire wrinkle at launch.

William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick ass Clay thats moving.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
heavychevys

754.46 points

1964 Chevrolet Belair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Clay!I go away for a couple years and now your this fast Very Happy .Awesome job buddy.

(Bothers) 69 Nova 408 BBC 6.94 @ 96 MPH
96 F250 4X4 PSD 8.24 @ 84 MPH @ 7000 lbs

www.musc.us/drag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: