Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

383 BUILD NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: 383 BUILD NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE Reply with quote

OK STARTED A NEW POST CAUSE THE OTHER ONE WAS GETTING KINDA LONG AND PEOPLE WERE PICKING ON ME FOR MY SPELLING AND JUNK. ANYWAYS THIS IS WHAT I HAVE OK SO I GOT A DEAL ON A BLOCK CAST NUMBER 14088548 IT IS A 4 BOLT BLOCK 1 PIECE SEAL. THE CRANK I BOUGHT NEW IS SCA 9-103750 IT S A 2PC CRANK SO I HAVE TO ORDER AND ADAPTER FOR IT TO USE ON THIS BLOCK . I BOUGHT THE CRANK BEFORE I BOUGHT THIS BLOCK I HAVE A SET OF RECONDITIONED 5.7 RODS. AND I BOUGHT PISTONS H635CP30 SPED-PROS. AND I HAVE A NEW CAM HERE LUNATI 30114 THAT'S WHAT I HAVE AS OF NOW I HAVE 3 SETS OF STOCK HEADS HERE. SO THAT'S WHAT I HAVE AND I WANT AROUND 350-400 AT MY REAR WHEELS ALSO I PLAN ON HOPEFULLY FINDING A GOOD 6SPEED OUT A CAMARO BUT WILL PROB GET STUCK WITH A 5 SPEED AND I HAVE A POSI 3.73 DISC REAR. ANY IDEAS ON BLOCK WORK?? I ALREADY DID CLEARANCE AT THE RAIL AND THE BOTTOM OF THE CYLINDERS I KNOW I HAVE TO HAVE IT BORED .030 THE BORED NOW IS 4.001 BLOCK WAS CLEANED. BUT WHAT ABOUT SHAVING THE MATING SURFACES AND BALANCING DOES THAT HAVE TO BE DONE AND WHAT HAPPENS IF IT NOT BALANCED? AS FAR AS BUDGET CHEAP LOL AND TIME FRAME NOT REALLY AN ISSUE JUST A FUN S10 PROJECT THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.. BIG QUESTIONS IS BALANCING DOES IT HAVE TO BE DONE AND WHAT IF ITS NOT?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know if the cam and stock heads will get you to your HP level, the Chevy guys will have to answer that. however, you will need about 450-500 HP at the crank to get 400 to the wheels. at that point i would say YES you NEED to balance it.

disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you yelling? Very Happy

Those heads are not going to cut it for 400 RWHP, try to find some centerbolt vortecs. You can find them at some wrecking yards and they will perform with the right machine work.

Yes, balancing is a must when a motor expected to rev past stock RPM's. Good machine work is expensive but is essential when pushing stock parts past there designed levels..

Good times

Joe

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do a 383 without balancing. If I was doing say a basic rebuild on a 350 - keeping factory rods and stroke but maybe changing pisonts with something like a Speed-pro, I could say pass on it because probalby nothing major has changed. In your 383 setup you don't know what bobweight the Scat crank was designed for to begin with. Second, face it, it is probably a Chinese cast crank and quality control may not be absolutely consistent (not knocking on your crank, I have run them in a 383 too). Third, you don't know if they intended a stock style rod or an aftermarket "H" beam rod. Fourth, piston weight can vary drastically. Stroke is different than the factory has ever paired with a 4" bore diameter. Bottom line is there are too many variables in a 383 setup not to balance for me, especailly if you are going to beat on it a little bit. The pistons you have list a 0.200" dome. Is this a street application or are you building mostly a track truck (which I hope you are). Your goal can be obtained with factory heads, but all of them are most likely going to need at minimum some basic clean up port work. The Vortec's are a good choice and I would recommend them too. One thing though, I think they have a smaller chamber so with the 3.75" stroke and 0.200" dome I would run a larger camshaft so cranking compression won't be so high. With a large chamber head, you might could bet by on pump gas but I think it would be close. You would have to give us more information from an actual mock up to get a closer compression ratio calculation. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: