Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

First track outing on rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: First track outing on rebuild Reply with quote

Yesterday myself and some friends went to Bowman and had a blast. Did a half pass to check air / fuel. It was in the 11.4 - 11.7 range so I left that alone. Next I did some easy launches without even spooling the turbo's just to do some timing tests. Started with 28* under boost (15#). Mph's on two passes were 112.19 and 112.21. I'll have to say - I wasn't ready for that. I never expected it to run that kind of speed. I really thought with the cam I picked it would be done by 6500 - not even close. I barely bounced the limiter (7000) on the first two passes until I got back in the groove again. Went down to 26* and it slowed to 111.4. Added 2* and got 112.53. I quit there and then started on the launch. Without spooling it would run a 1.75. My best tuning effort go it to 1.49 which still sucks but it did run a 6.30. The tires I have now are shot, so new slicks before I go back and maybe I can get some of those high 5's that William Jones is running (although I'll never match that 60' - that thing LEAVES). It definately has more pontial than it had before. One other thing I want to check is to pull the carb now that it has a little time on it and see what the intake runners look like - hopefully they are clean. A guy that works with my buddy had a GTO there. He had a cold air intake and he has done some engine tuning. He had recently done some suspension work although I'm not exactly what. It went 8.20's on street tires with a stick - impressive - and he can flat drive a stick (VERY fun to watch and listen to). A friend of mine has a 2010 brought his 2010 Mustang. It has a V6 with a Vortech. It makes good power but without a posi, narrow street tires and a stick, he didn't stand a chance of putting down a time to do it justice. Another friend brought his Ford NASCAR truck. It was his first time at a dragstrip ever and I don't think anybody had more fun than he did. All in all a great time for everybody. Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you adjust the timing, are you reading the plugs ? i would take a close look at the straps just to be sure.

jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you the best, Clay. Kind of envious of you Southern gentlemen. Our racing season is over until April, 2011
William Jones

28456.50 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Clay I am glad you are back running the car again sounds like it has alot left in it. Man I love those turbo's maybe someday I can step up to some twins. I need to lose alot of compression first. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

112 in the 1/8th is flyin!!!!!!!!!!! With a 1.49 60 is even more to look at the 1/8th mph.
I am jealous! Laughing
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it was a good shakedown day. I didn't pull plugs at the track. Now that you mention it, why the hell didn't I Confused . I did pull them yesterday and the rear plugs looked sort of hot. Fronts had a little color, but as you went toward the rear, they get cleaner and cleaner. I'm going to richen the rear up by two jet sizes and try that. Also I'm going to turn the water injection back on and hopefully that will give me a bigger safety margin. It'll hurt a little mph, but there's a lot left in the 60'. I also pulled the carburetor off and looked down the intake ports. I can see about 1/3 the way down the intake runner in the head and they look just as clean as the day I put it together. Now it hasn't had a lot of time on it, but it looks to be drastically better than before as far as reversion.
I called Mickey Thompson yesterday and learned a little bit about tires. First off the slicks I have on now were bought used to see if they would fit. After talking to their tech guy, I should be running the stiff sidewall bacause of the car's weight. I asked him if the sidewalls ever break down and cause the car to drive like crap - he said absolutely. He said the 10.5 guys wear the sidewall out loonnngg before the tread is worn out. All of this is great news, I can't wait to get some new tires on and hopefully I can make it leave and it will drive a heck of a lot better than it does now. I don't like what I have gotten used to driving now - it doesn't scare me so much anymore and it really should. Right now plans are to get back to the track on the 20th. I'll let everybody know the results if I do. Later guys. Clay

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, next time out, take a grinder and cutoff wheel with you and cut the threads off of the plugs in the back and look at the fuel ring at the base of the porcelan. this after a full run on new plugs shutting off at the stripe and towing back to the pits. you get a better read this way. oh, and how about some video next time ? Driving

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
112 in the 1/8th is flyin!!!!!!!!!!! With a 1.49 60 is even more to look at the 1/8th mph.
I am jealous! Laughing

Don't forget turbo cars usually come on strong at the top end.

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Clay, next time out, take a grinder and cutoff wheel with you and cut the threads off of the plugs in the back and look at the fuel ring at the base of the porcelan. this after a full run on new plugs shutting off at the stripe and towing back to the pits. you get a better read this way. oh, and how about some video next time ?

Only thing about doing this is turbo cooldown. They would probably be o.k. as far as temp but I would have to wait until it got back to an idle to let them slow down before I cut off their oil supply. Ball bearing turbo's would be fine I think, but remember these are e-bay chinese specials so I don't want to do anything to push my luck. Video I can do next time - that's not a problem. Maybe with some new slicks, I can get that 60' where it should be. Clay

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think the wideband is reading the air fuel correctly? Or are you talking about the plug heat range?

I challenge you to push yourself.
TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
I am jealous! Laughing

X2 congrats on that can't wait to see your posts after the 20th! Twisted Evil

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
You don't think the wideband is reading the air fuel correctly? Or are you talking about the plug heat range?

dont know if you were responding to me or Clay so ill just jump in. i think the wideband is only going to read the engine as a whole. it cant tell you if a couple cylinders are lean only the average. easiest way (IMO) to tell what the individual cylinders are doing is a plug read. plugs dont lie.

Clay, i forgot about cool down. kinda makes it difficult to get a good read on the plugs. however, you should still be able to tell if some are leaner than others and read the timing on the strap.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think the wideband is only going to read the engine as a whole. it cant tell you if a couple cylinders are lean only the average. easiest way (IMO) to tell what the individual cylinders are doing is a plug read. plugs dont lie.

Exactly. That's why I'm going up in jet size in the rear. Front plugs look good, the rears look a little "hot" for lack of a better term. I'm running without water injection for now to not have it affect what the plugs look like. At 15 lbs it should be fine, but I'm going to turn it back on next time out. It will most likely slow it down a little but I have so much to gain in the 60' right now there isn't any need to push it. Blow throughs wind up with weird jetting as far as front / back and I'm trying to get it closer to being balanced as far as jet area. Clay

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't make it on the 20th - the track has been rented out to have a battle of the bands - heavy metal. I think it would be cool to run cars earlier in the day before the band competition, but oh well, it's not my track. Their schedule shows them open on the 27th, so I'll try then. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: