Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

First post. Inherited a 327 block

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agoetz2005

302.94 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: First post. Inherited a 327 block Reply with quote

Hi all, recently I inherited a 327 chevy block, and crank from a deceased neighbor.

The only info I have is memory, and that it is bored 30 over and has a forged crank with it. Other than that it is completely bare.

I am looking at dropping it in to a mid 80's S-10, or selling it outright.

I am legally blind so I don' get out to make a lot of money, but I also don't need matching castings. Will a master rebuild kit, some heads and an intake get me close?

Does anyone have any parts laying around they could donate?

Let me know ease
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. You need to aquire a few more parts. I hate to say it, but the little stuff can add up. Since it sounds like you want mainly a fresh, mostly stock 327, it shouldn't be too espensive though. I have used the kits that Summit Racing sells. They are pretty complete and are a good price. Looking in their catalog they only show a forged kit however which you really don't need. I would call and ask them what they have available. Then a complete cam kit would be the cheapest way to go - cam, lifters, and springs. Most of the other small stuff you can get out of the junkyard off of any Chevy V8. Rocker arms, pushrods, valve covers, oil pan, etc. should be very cheap. Weind makes about the cheapest intake. Holley 3310 is about the cheapest, best working carburetor, stock water pump and fuel pump. Gotta go for now, but start asking questions and we'll be happy to help. Clay
Agoetz2005

302.94 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a set of complete reman iron or aluminum heads for about $300

Sonthe main things are cam/rods/pistons

Other than that I can pull the valve covers/intake/oil pan etc out of any old 350?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant help with any Chevy parts but welcome to SMOKEmUP Cheers

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Other than that I can pull the valve covers/intake/oil pan etc out of any old 350?

That's the beauty of the SBC, pretty much anything is interchangable. Here's where I would recommend trying to go the later model route. Try to find a set of the late model Vortec heads - they are on something like 350's after 1999 - not exactly sure of the year. They are really good for power and most importantly use the center bolt valve covers which are a HUGE step up in stopping valve cover leaks. They are a production item and should be fairly inexpensive to find a set of stock reworked heads. Don't confuse these with the earlier Vortex heads. These came out around the late 80's (87 - 8Cool and had 1/2 of the intake port closed off to provide an increased swirl effect. They made good torque and had very good throttle response, but there is no reason at all to invest money in them. Any head ever made is an improvement - even the small port 305 head is better. If you go the Vortec route, you won't be able to find an intake in the junkyard for a carburetor however since they were all fuel injection and that will drive costs up a little bit. They also require different rocker arms but you should be able to find them in a junkyard. Sorry if I keep throwing out other options, but there are several routes you could take here depending on what you actually want to accomplish. To get an engine to install in something - from a pure economical standpoint probably the easiest thing to do is get a late model Vortec 350 like I mentioned, swap a cam, intake and get a set of headers. This could net you around ann honest 325 h.p. for less than $1000 total investment. If you want the experience of building and engine, then that's a different thing and you may wind up paying a little more for the knowledge and experience gained. Sorry if I ramble - sometimes I do that. Clay

Agoetz2005

302.94 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather have the experience of the build.

I'd rather go carbed as if I don't sell it, it's going in some sort of s10 probably an 86 or so, and I don't want to mess with an ecu and PCM and all that other garbage.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site!

First thing I noticed was a forged crank and the the 327 size. That to me implies a small journal crank (which wasn't used in under 300 horsepower cars since 1964). You will need small journal rods with aftermarket bolts and a lot of machine work to get a motor together. It would be cheaper to buy an assembled crate motor than to build one from scratch.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: