Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Charging issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Charging issues Reply with quote

I am running a sb 327 with Edelbrock EFI in my Jeep. I have 3 coolers on it . 1 Black Magic for the rad, 1 B&M for the trans, and 1 B&M for the oil. I have a vintage air A/C unit installed. The electrical system is a Optima Yellow top with a power master 140 amp Alt.

The problem popped up out of the blue. Everything has been in this configuration for about 2 years. The other day my A/C just shut off. After a few seconds it kicked back on. I didn't think anything about it until I was pulling into my driveway and my volt gauge read 11v. I figured that my altenator kicked so I went and bought a new Powermaster and put it on. As soon as I fired up the Jeep the volt gauge went up to 14v. I turned on my fans and then my A/c and immediately the volt meter dropped to 12.5. When I shut everything down the meter stayed at 12.5v. when I turned everything on again the meter dropped to below 12. I scratched my head then went back to Summit and exchanged the alt thinking that it must be a bad one. I installed the new one to the same outcome. Today I ran up to Interstate and asked them to check my yellow top to see if there was a problem with it . They checked it and said that on the surface nothing seemed to be wrong but they gave me a loaner and said they would put a full charge on it and runs some tests. I installed their loaner and the same thing happened . The meter read that the alt was charging and all was good for about 2-3 hours. Now the problem is back again.

Anyone have any ideas?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your battery cables, grounds and connectors at the alt. solder is your friend. first thing i look at with weird electrical problems is ALL of the high amperage connections. no cheesy bolt on batt cable ends either.

SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all solder fit conections. With the new PM alt I ran a 1 wire setup and took a ground wire right back to the bat as well.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

SCEADU wrote:

As soon as I fired up the Jeep the volt gauge went up to 14v. I turned on my fans and then my A/c and immediately the volt meter dropped to 12.5.

Anyone have any ideas?

Alt is not enough and that is all.
SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I move up to a 200A. Should I go to a dual Bat. It s strange that it worked fine for a few years and then it decided that it wanted to quit.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check amperage draw on all the fans individually

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go down another route. If it is a "V" belt setup, check to see if either the belt is old and glazed or if the alternator pulley or crank pullies are worn to the point the belt is bottomed out in the groove and losing surface contact and letting it slip under load. If it is a serpentine I would say check the tensioner, but you would have already basically done that when you replaced the alternator. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
check amperage draw on all the fans individually

Yep 30 + 30 = 60 add another 30 for MSD then 30 or so for headlights etc and you are beond what that alt will do.

O yea A/C to boot =30 amps.
I SEE 120 AMPS WITHOUT KNOWING.
sorry bout the caps. Mad

EFI =10 amps. We are up to the MAX that chaenes alt could put out on a good day!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to argue with you on some of the amperage values. I'll absolutely give you 30 amps on the radiator fan. I think the coolers he mentioned use fairly small fans, I wouldn't give them much more than 10 amps each. He didn't mention MSD, but I think they rate them at 1 amp / 1000 rpm. I can check an A/C clutch, but I would guess 5 to 10 amps to hold it in. A/C fan another 10 amps on high. EFI pump, injectors, etc. throw in another 10 - 15 at the most. Now granted I wouldn't think many alternators could necessarily keep up at idle, but once rpm's come up, I think what he has should work - well it has been working up until now. Now off to the 94 Mustang thread.......Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCEADU wrote:
They are all solder fit conections. With the new PM alt I ran a 1 wire setup and took a ground wire right back to the bat as well.

correct me if im wrong but, a TRUE 1 wire alternator wont charge at idle. most alternators are 3 wire..... field, power and battery.

SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a "WINNER!!!!"

Clay you hit the nail on the head. The belt was glazed. The acc are mounted with Zoops and they don't have much adjustment so belts don't need much wear before they won't work with my setup. With full tension on the belt I could still turn the pulley with my bare fingers. I went and got a new belt for grins and now I start at 14v and even with all my acc's on and headlights I still pull 13v.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!! Glad you got if fixed. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCEADU wrote:
We have a "WINNER!!!!"

Clay you hit the nail on the head. The belt was glazed. The acc are mounted with Zoops and they don't have much adjustment so belts don't need much wear before they won't work with my setup. With full tension on the belt I could still turn the pulley with my bare fingers. I went and got a new belt for grins and now I start at 14v and even with all my acc's on and headlights I still pull 13v.

Funny how these things get left out of original posts Confused
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the correct thing to do is a current survey. This is with a clamp on current probe over the + cable with everything under the sun turned on with the car not running of course. Take that number and add 30% that is the minimum you should have for an alternator. Pretty simple. Rolling Eyes

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: