Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

White smoke drivers side exhaust ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think retorque would risk breaking the seal loose on the studs where they go into the block and cause a coolant leak.

One method I use that gets you most of the benefit of the retorque is a cold retorque. You can put something like PST sealer made by Loctite I believe or the teflon sealer that ARP sells on the bolts or studs and torque them down on the stand. Wait overnight and then loosen and retorque the next day. If you mark the fasteners you will see they will tighten farther as the gaskets get compressed. This way there isn't really time for the sealer to set up and there isn't any coolant or water there yet either. Permatex also makes a non hardening sealer that I have used on the bolts too. I still retorque hot also, but the above method will get you I would guess 80% of the retorque benefit if you really don't want to do a after heat cycle retorque. Clay

William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to retorque when using aluminum heads its even more important then when using iron I always do. When I put this last motor together it milked my oil I retorqued and no problems since and I am running 15:1 comp. Try retorguing your heads and maybe you can stop the leak.

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: