Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

241C Transfer Case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: 241C Transfer Case Reply with quote

I'm working on a 88 chevy 1500 that has a 700R and 241C transfer case. If you put the truck in gear it will move foward as long as you don't give it any gas or put it under strain. If you give it some gas, it seems as thought the chain is slipping. It does it in 4 high and 2 high. I removed the transfer case and now have it all over the desk in my shop. I'm not really sure if the chain was loose or not. There is some wear on the larger gear. If you've got any experience with a transfer case, please sound off. I've never worked on one of these before and am feeling a little unsure of exactly what to do.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sound like ass when the chain slips!!!!!!

unmistakeable!!!!!

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had one that had chewed all the teeth off of the spider gears in the rear diff. have you pulled the diff cover ?

coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled it yesterday. It has a lot of play but looks fine for an 88 with a boat load of miles on it. I'm fairly sure it's in the t-case. The only worn parts in the case are the range slider that lets you go from high 4 to low 4. It's only got a slight amount of wear on each side of the teeth where they encage/disengage the planetary. The larger gear that contacts the chain is slightly discolored and might have a little wear on it. The bearings appear fine and the all the (pain in the ass) clips are there. I hope that is all there is to it. There are some parts that I can't find a name for and I don't even know where to begin. I've got an old transmission manual but I don't have anything about transfer cases. Would you guys know where to find a manual for the 241c? Maybe a link that has a little more info?
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a transmission problem, not in the auxiliary transfer case. Does it work without a problem in two wheel high. If it works fine in two wheel high and not in four wheel high or low you have a bad transfer case. A slipping chain will saw through the case in a very short time. If it is slipping you would know it the moment you looked inside the case. (I had a 204 that sawed through all but the last 1/16 th inch of metal in the case from chain stretch.

Big Dave
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the chain or whatever is slipping in 2 and 4 wheel drive. I slowly creped up to speed while driving it to my shop and it shifted gears fine. But, sounds like you might be on to something. There wasn't any marks inside of the case. Just some marks and slight discoloration on the larger gear the chain rides on.

I hope it's not the trans cause I've got the t-case scattered all over the table. Not to mention, the transmission is more expensive. I talked the owner into selling it to me for $1800. Aside from the problem I'm having now, the truck is in great shape.

1ca0a1cb5c32.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  1ca0a1cb5c32.jpg
 Filesize:  4.31 KB
 Downloaded:  1001 Time(s)

3cd7fb127473.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3cd7fb127473.jpg
 Filesize:  6.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1024 Time(s)

jbapi

129.90 points

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was it in 4low? did you have any noise?did it do it in rev.?if you had no noise,and it did it in 4low, you most likely have a transmission problem. did you bother to check the level of the transmission fluid?let me know,its what I do.
jimmy
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this place out- looks like a good parts source?
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transfer_case_replacements_and_parts/np241.html

More importantly, a np241 diagram- not a gm specific but maybe still helpful-
http://www.drivetrain.com/images/stories/product_imgs_large/np241_lg.jpg

Hope that saves ya some time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: