Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

LOOKING FOR SOME HELP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are getting closer to dyno time on my 408. There was a backlog jam but we are catching up. I really want to see what the engine has before we make changes so that we can see any progress. The more I think of what Adam said I figure I'll have to take the heads apart and work around the pushrod pinch. I've done a lot of work on these heads but next to nothing in that area.

I'm really tempted to bite the bullet and buy a set of AFR 220 Comp heads but I want to see what I can pick up with the Sportsman II's.

Using the Dyno 2000 it show very little gain with the cam change upstairs and a ton of loss in the low to mid range. Don't know if I'm screwing up putting the info in. Don't think so.
Anyway I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your input.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to get rid of the push rod pinch get a set of Brodix port intruders. I just read some more and it looks like they are only for a raised runner type head but you can read the rest of my Blah Blah below.

http://www.brodix.com/parts/portintruder/portintruder.html

I have a set installed on my Dart 17's heads. It replaces that normally thinned area with a piece of Billet aluminum that you can port straight back to the bowl. The bottom of this piece is machined out so that a short head bolt can be install where it will really be doing some good holding the head to the deck. If you think about it putting a sleeve in there and then a head bolt how much pressure is really on the deck in that area? I still need Al S. to look at these heads again as they stall at .600 lift. There is more in the 17's for sure. I did talk with both Paul R. and Al S. and they said they were pretty good and that I should run them as they are but knowing this has also kept me from installing them. Gene let me know when you are going to dyno the 408 I would love to come by and check it out!
Paul

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LOOKING FOR SOME HELP Reply with quote

[quote="af2"]
jeep_406 wrote:

I use a Superflow 110 which is probably older than a lot of SMOKESTERS but it works within the specs it's supposed to.
quote]

Jeep, I still have the SF110 I bought in 1991

The pushrod pinch is narrow in those heads. That would be the first place I would spend time measuring as not to break through.

I would also forget the exhaust flow. It really means nothing when mufflers are used as far as I have read and with proof.

Just thinking!
You are on the right tract!!
Intake!!!!! Using the offset bolts will give you the ## you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: