Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Billet Aluminum Dash Bezel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
holly shit you can make anything

can you machine a woman without a mouth?????

He meant voice box. Laughing

Nice work!!!! Cool
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good! This car being built for show, or go, or both? The tires with treads are the reason I asked. Too much effort and cost involved for a daily driver so I assume you are going to try and get some of your money back by either showing it or racing it.

Big Dave
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
squeeezer wrote:
holly shit you can make anything

can you machine a woman without a mouth?????

He meant voice box. Laughing

Nice work!!!! Cool

Lol thats exactly what i was thinkin!!!!!!! Shocked
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Looking very good! This car being built for show, or go, or both? The tires with treads are the reason I asked. Too much effort and cost involved for a daily driver so I assume you are going to try and get some of your money back by either showing it or racing it.

Big Dave

Getting some money back would be great, but I don't see that happening. It's going to be street legal (sorta) and will spend some time at the track. The tires on it now are the street tires.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little more done tonight.

Cutting out the backing plate. The slots are to index the backing plate to the adjuster assembly.

Cutting out the top cap that connects the ready rod to the rams.

Top cap completed. The brass thrust bushings are pressed in from the top and bottom. They come about .020 short of touching each other. This allows grease to be pumped in from the grease fitting.

Assembly is pretty close to done. This shows the index slots that align the backing plate to the assembly.

I also added a grease fitting to each ram cylinder just to keep everything workin' smooth.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the top anvil assembly tonight. Time to start welding up the frame.

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I cut a jig to align the top & bottom anvils. Next is to cut the frame tube & match it up to the flange on the back of the top wheel assembly.

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the frame built. I knew when I decided to built an English Wheel light enough to easily mount to the wall receiver it would be a challenge. Deflection is not a good thing, so I am hoping to make up for the light frame with some triangulated bracing. Only time will tell if it works or becomes lawn art. I figure if it doesn't work I can always build a steel frame since the top & bottom anvil yokes are bolt ons.

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about done with this deal. Got all the steel parts painted black & made a plywood rack for the lower anvils. All that's left is to dial in the top anvil. Seems to have pulled the bottom in a little during the welding. A shim ought to bring it back into alignment. I tried it out and I'll be if it doesn't work. Time to get back on the "Z" now.

The plan was to make it light enough to carry around. Weighs 84 Lbs. including a set of anvils. My shoulder fits under the top arm so it's not bad taking it out & putting it in the wall receivers. I planned to put struts on the bottom arm but it seems to be pretty stable the way it is. If it becomes a problem I'll add that later. Don't want it any heavier than it has to be.

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a scrap pc. of .080 aluminum just to see what it would do. Bare in mind I've never used one of these contraptions before so I'm sure it would turn out better with practice. I'm surprised how easy they are to use. I figured I'd get a workout pulling & pushin' the workpiece back & forth but it's so easy a caveman could do it. Laughing

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I would like to get my hands on one to play / practice. One thing I have heard that sucks is rolling your finger under the roller. Seems like I remember Jesse James saying it feels like when you hit your finger with a hammer, it just doesn't stop Shocked . Clay
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I can see that happening. I'll have to put that on the NOT to do list. Laughing
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last pic., it fits in the void behind the door with the Bead Roller, Shrinker/Stretcher, Plannishing Hammer & Welding table when they aren't in use. So, I'm hardly loosing any floor space at all when it's all put away. I have to add one more receiver on the storage rack for the vise since I now have one more attachment than I do storage rack receivers. On normal days this space is just more or less a hallway to the back room where the CNC is (where I normally do sign work). I need this space open so I can get materials into the room and signs back out.

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Now I'm done. For sure. I'm in the sign biz' ..... I had to do it.....what can I say? lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: