Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Powerstroke Intercooler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Powerstroke Intercooler Reply with quote

I have been running a Powerstroke intercooler for about 2 years and was happy with the old motor, but on the new one, it just wasn't making the power I thought it should. It was making more, just not what I thought. Supercharger is pretty close to impeller redline, so next step was to check pressure drop across the intercooler. Found my missing power - in a quick street test, saw about 7 lbs. drop. In race trim without the air cleaner, this would be around the 8 - 9 lb. mark. I need a new / better flowing intercooler, but I'm going to wait and get one configured for a twin turbo setup with an inlet on each side and an outlet on one side. For now I'm going to blow straight into the carb and run water injection and at the worst I'll have to mix in some raceing fuel. My guess is the Powerstroke intercooler is good to about the 700 - 750 h.p. mark, above that, I need the bar / plate design that seems to do better at the higher flow rates. Smokes calculator showed around the 830 mark at the crank using 20% loss and it went 6.34 in the 1/8th, so I'm hoping 6 teens maybe - we'll see and I'll let ya'll know. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge losses through the intercooler. Do you know what the losses were before the motor swap? Did you turn up the boost with the new combo? Is it possible the intel tubing size is too restrictive as well?

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never checked losses with the old motor. I installed everything the same on the new motor because I was trying to isolate any improvement the AFR heads delivered. As it seems, the AFR heads are pretty good, your calculator showed 50 more rear wheel h.p. with 10 less cubic inches, 0.7 lower compression ratio and approx. 5* less on camshaft duration. All of the tubing from the supercharger to the intercooler and intercooler to carb bonnet is 3". There are some losses on the inlet side if I run an air cleaner, but I never do at the track. I have a 4" duct I install that pulls air from the cowl area with no air cleaner. I have seen this make 3 - 4 lbs. more. I got curious when I got to really measuring the blower drive ratio when I was going to step it up and it was already pretty close to maxed out on impeller rpm and your calculator only showed about 830 crank h.p. using 20% loss. Procharger lists the F1 as being good for approx. 1050 h.p. I haven't seen any signs of belt slippage like excessive belt dust or any signs on any excessive heating on the pulley so that's when I started investigating intercooler restriction and that's where the problem is. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it for a quick spin tonight to get some date. I wanted to see if the fuel mixture would be affected by changing the orentation of the bonnet. I pulled out 12* of timing and upped the water flow on the water injection. I had to move the injection nozzle from under the carb in a plate to directly in the tubing at the exit of the supercharger - I was out of hood room at this position. I used pump gas just to see if I could and just to get some quick pulls. This thing is stupid. I squeezed into it at about 50 mph after it had gone into overdrive - tires broke loose. I had to get up to about 65 or so in overdrive to get a few seconds at w.o.t. In drive, it would just blow the tires away. I'm going to drop down on the water flow and run race fuel for the next two races. Here are some graphs that show how much faster and how much more boost is available without the obvious restriction of the Powerstroke intercooler.First pull is at Bowman, sorry second pull is so short, it's all I could do in the highway. Clay

I don't know how much boost it's making as I only have a 2 bar MAP on my datalogger for now. Clay

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I see you spinning that thing 6500?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, in the highway anyway Very Happy . That's plenty to go to jail Shocked . The first datalog shows about 6800 - 7000 if I had put the rpm scale on it. It just wasn't the 7200 pass at Bowman. I usually just do a quick pull in the highway anyway. Notice it only lasted about 2.5 seconds - I just wanted to get some air / fuel data. I never want to remotely have a chance to hurt anybody so I try not to get stupid anymore. That's something getting older really helps with Very Happy . It's also a bonus I live in a fairly remote area. At the track I tried shifting at 7000, 7200 and 7500. 7200 proved to be the sweet spot with the intercooler. Maybe it was enough of a restriction that it'll spin higher now - who knows. Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds about how my nitrous testing went secret Twisted Evil . can you explain what the three different color lines on the graph represent ? i assume the blue is boost ?

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, blue is boost, black is rpm and what should be something like magenta is air / fuel ratio. Right now air / fuel is running about 11.3 or so since I fattened it up a little to start with. In the past I ran it in the high 11's. I never have figured out why everything is so spiky and not smooth plots. Must be some noise coming from somewhere - who knows. Clay
ronzzkee

128.92 points

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I never checked losses with the old motor. I installed everything the same on the new motor because I was trying to isolate any improvement the AFR heads delivered. As it seems, the AFR heads are pretty good, your calculator showed 50 more rear wheel h.p. with 10 less cubic inches, 0.7 lower compression ratio and approx. 5* less on camshaft duration. All of the tubing from the supercharger to the intercooler and intercooler to carb bonnet is 3". There are some losses on the inlet side if I run an air cleaner, but I never do at the track. I have a 4" duct I install that pulls air from the cowl area with no air cleaner. I have seen this make 3 - 4 lbs. more. I got curious when I got to really measuring the blower drive ratio when I was going to step it up and it was already pretty close to maxed out on impeller rpm and your calculator only showed about 830 crank h.p. using 20% loss. Procharger lists the F1 as being good for approx. 1050 h.p. I haven't seen any signs of belt slippage like excessive belt dust or any signs on any excessive heating on the pulley so that's when I started investigating intercooler restriction and that's where the problem is. Clay

sometimes this my problem, thanks for the help here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: