Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

got my plan squashed, plan b
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I wish the best building a 402. My 9.5:1 went 12.91 in a 1972 Nova. That was an Isky Z-33. I could build an engine over here and ship it for less than the cost a 402 will cost you to go slower! The funny thing is! I can build a small block and have more from top to bottom for less than a big one! I have no time to get involved though. Nor do I want to unless I can be there.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid a 406 SBC will eat a BBC 406's shorts without even breaking a sweat.

BBC truck motors use the same heads as passenger cars, only the block (four bolt tall deck, with forged internals, and remote oil passages drilled and tapped), and intake manifold are different from passenger motors. The early bathtub heads have the same ports and valves as the semi-hemi open port later model heads, but are shrouded by the smaller (98-101 cc) combustion chambers.

The wedge shaped combustion chamber combined with the quench area of the small block provide the needed turbulence to atomize every bit of fuel in the charge. I have pulled plugs on a BBC and they have been wet with gas after a run; not a good sign. The big block doesn't make as much power per cubic inch as the small block (not as efficient), but it has one advantage that the small block lacks, room to grow more cubes. If the average SBC makes 1.5 horse per cube and a BBC makes but 1 horse per cube the solution is not to compete with a motor that is the same size as the small block but to think big. 555 cubes is a cake walk for a BBC and the upper boundaries are approaching 830 cubes (for a small fee) for more torque and horse power than a SBC block can even sustain.

I think you need to rethink plan B if you are going to attempt to compete at a reasonable level with limited funds.

Big Dave
lun40119

4740.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put..........

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: