Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

HT383 crate motor from Chevrolet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burney

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: HT383 crate motor from Chevrolet Reply with quote

I want to put a HT383 crate motor in my 1987 Chev PU, and run it with the EGR and a TBI. I am TRYING to figure out what I need to do that job.

Will the stock intake work? If not which one?
WIll the stock TBI work? If not which one?
Will the stock distributor gear work?

I want it to LOOK rock stock, but go when I stick my foot into it.
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What heads are they using on that motor ? That'll be the deciding factor on the intake. EGR ports in the heads are another question that needs to be answered.

There shouldn't be a problem using your distributor. If there's a roller cam in the new motor and a flat tappet in the old motor and new gear is a good idea. A new gear with a new cam is always good just for safety. Different gear mesh patterns could cause premature failure. Probably won't, but it can happen.

Your throttle body could work. It's going to take reprograming work to make it work 100%. There's a BB chevy TBI throttle body that will definitely work if yours isn't large enough.
chevyfreak

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Good motor. Reply with quote

The HT 383 can be made to haul. It comes with the Vortec Heads. So the current intake from your 87 TBI will not go. But check with Eldebrock, they have intakes to fit their E-Tec heads, and possibly have one that will match up to your TBI. The intake that comes on the HT383 is a dual plane designed for a four barrell, so unless you convert, you will have to change it. You might also consider a set of 1.6 roller rockers. It will give you a little more duration and lift. Comps makes a set to fit, but you will have to grind a little on the inside of the valve covers. The cam in the motor is the smallest of their crate motor offerings...same as the 350 RAM JET. So it can take a little more...and the heads will love it. There are a few things you can do to the motor like this, check out Hot Rod Magazine in the May issue. They did a nice write up. Good luck!
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...stupid question, what's HT stand for? I'm assuming it's a manufacturer.
chevyfreak

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: High Torque Reply with quote

The motor is a genuine Chevy...or General Motors Performance Products piece. The HT stands for High Torque. It is a stroker motor from the factory designed primarily as a light truck replacement piece. But is has serious potential. It is PN/12497317, and here are the specs. Bore is 4.00 and stroke is 3.80. 9.1:1 Comp. Four Bolt Main block. Forged Crank cross drilled and nitride trated. Forged 5.7 rods. Cam is a small piece with 196/206 at .050. The results are 325 HP and 415 Ft/lbs...with over 400 ft./lbs. from 2500-4000 RPM. I took a serious interest in this one for the towing vehicle...I can't wait for my old 350 to die! Check out Sallee-Chevrolet.com...they have a good site about this motor. It can be had from any of the dealers, but Jim Pace and Scroggin-Dickey have the better prices. Most people don't consider it with the ZZ4 out there...but with a cam change and a few minor upgrades...500 HP and 600 Ft/lbs. Check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: