Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Tuners for the LS1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Tuners for the LS1 Reply with quote

I looking to get my 99 Z28 auto tuned now that I have the exhaust done and new throttle body lid, cold air induct.
The problem that I have Is that if I get it flashed and dynoed is

A: i wont be able to use the 50-100hp dry shot that I have, due to the fact that I have no way of going from a all motor tune to a nitrous tune

B: its going to cost about $800!!

So... I want to get a tuner and maybe rent a dyno...
These questions I know smoke can help me on.

Can you store more then 2 tunning files?

do you need to buy any licencing?

I have been reading some on tunning the ls1, any thing that you would like to ad?

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put the wideband O2 on you have and see where you are first. I remember you saying no laptop right now but I would try to find or borrow one. You might be surprised as to the air fuel as it sits. Most probably it's pretty rich and be able to get away with running a dry shot now.

Since the nitrous will go through the MAF it will calc the amount of oxygen and spray the correct amount of fuel. Since you're spraying a small amount timing doesn't have to be retarded (since the factory settings are conservative). Big thing is to make sure the fuel system is up to the task, injectors and fuel pump. From what I've read you should be safe running less than a 100 shot on stock injectors, fuel pump, but they only way to know is to monitor injector duty cycle and air fuel ratios.

I would bite the bullet and get a tuner package and take the plunge. Make sure you get one where the tuning datalogger has an external input from your wideband O2. I didn't tune my car on the dyno, only the street and track. The only problem is if you see me in my car with the laptop logging, LOOKOUT!

You can only store one tune on the PCM at a time. However you can have as many on your PC only limited by hard drive space. The newer HPTuners have the ability to change parameters on the fly (without reflashing) so you could in effect have a nitrous tune ready to go but I have no first hand experience with this.

I challenge you to push yourself.
KCFormula

130.76 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCT software allows you to change tunes by pulling over and taking about 5 minutes and then you are off again. Unfortunately It is not all that popular due to its late arrival to the scene. But if you call them I am sure they could tell you the closest shop to you that has it. Smile
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Im going to do is get a diablo pred. and data log with my Zetronix( once I get a laptop).. From what Ive read, I should be able to tune almost anything and Log with my wide band..

Im looking for links to a diagram or info on witch wires to piggy back..

2000WU6

136.44 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and don't get one of the POS things like Hypertech or similar ... they may work out for some simple setup, but will never be able to accommodate for even slightly more advanced mods ... e.g., I was able to fine-tune my stock LS1 and shave off .5s on the quartermile without doing ANY other modifications to the motor ... just doing a decent AFR/VE-Tune via Wideband O2 & EFILive ...
For Nitrous, the custom OS available with EFILive there are some additional features that will help you safely set up the tune, and make more out of what you have!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: