Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Nitrous fuel pump wiring...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Nitrous fuel pump wiring... Reply with quote

I'm running a 2nd fuel pump for my nitrous fuel system. I haven't hooked it up yet as I'm not sure how I should hook it up.. I don't want the nitrous pump to be running when I'm making a naturally aspirated pass. I was thinking that I'll just activate it when the nitrous system is armed. However, I have 2 ways to activate the nitrous. One would be to have it permanently on for the entire run and temporary through a button. However, if I activate the nitrous through the button, it might be too late to kick in the nitrous fuel pump at the push of the button and that might cause a temporary lean condidtion.. Now I though of just having an extra switch that would turn on or off the nitrous pump but then I'll risk forgetting to turn it on when turning on.. What would be the best solution?
William Jones

28514.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook it up to your main activation switch. That way it will be on and pressurized before you activate the nitrous with your wide open throttle switch and button. That way you can turn your nitrous system on after the burnout box. When I come out of the burn out box I turn on the nos main power switch that sends power to the pump and to your button then to your WOT switch then to the selonoids. When you activate the button and you are at full throttle the Nitrous will come on. Works great for me that way

Later Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Jones wrote:
Hook it up to your main activation switch. That way it will be on and pressurized before you activate the nitrous with your wide open throttle switch and button. That way you can turn your nitrous system on after the burnout box. When I come out of the burn out box I turn on the nos main power switch that sends power to the pump and to your button then to your WOT switch then to the selonoids. When you activate the button and you are at full throttle the Nitrous will come on. Works great for me that way

Later Bam
That would work if I switch on the nitrous for the entire run. However, when I want to use nitrous as a backup source of power (in case that I spin and need to catch up), the pump would only be activated when I hit the activate button. The way that the switch that activates the "nitrous on demand (button)" is wired is that if the switch is flipped, it will direct the 12 volt to the nitrous system WHEN the push button on the shifter is pushed. So, until the button is pushed, the switch doesn't even get power. (It's the same switch that activates the linelock)

William Jones

28514.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire the button in after the switch. That way you turn on the switch and the button cuts power to the wot switch until the button is activated. This way your pump will be on before you activate the Nitrous with the button. I would suggest you move your line lock to a different switch since it doesn't need to be activated in a hurry. I have my nitrous set up to run three ways one so that when I am on the transbrake and stage limiter the nos is not on when you release the Tbrake the stage limiter goes off and the NOS comes on and the other way is when I turn on another switch and it arms the shifter button so I can spray it if I spin when I am bracket racing and the 3rd way is to just turn on the main switch footbrake it and when you floor it the nitrous comes on. I have my car set up all three of these ways and they all are run threw the WOT switch. This doesn't limit me on what I can do with the NOS and the Nitrous fuel pump is only on when the main power for the system is on.

Later Bam

GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Jones wrote:
Wire the button in after the switch. That way you turn on the switch and the button cuts power to the wot switch until the button is activated. This way your pump will be on before you activate the Nitrous with the button. I would suggest you move your line lock to a different switch since it doesn't need to be activated in a hurry. I have my nitrous set up to run three ways one so that when I am on the transbrake and stage limiter the nos is not on when you release the Tbrake the stage limiter goes off and the NOS comes on and the other way is when I turn on another switch and it arms the shifter button so I can spray it if I spin when I am bracket racing and the 3rd way is to just turn on the main switch footbrake it and when you floor it the nitrous comes on. I have my car set up all three of these ways and they all are run threw the WOT switch. This doesn't limit me on what I can do with the NOS and the Nitrous fuel pump is only on when the main power for the system is on.

Later Bam

The problem with the linelock switch is that I have no idea where I could put it. The shifter is the only logical choice as I'll be shifting during the burnout. I need at least one hand on the steering wheel and the other one on the shifter.. I set up the switch so that I can use both, nitrous and linelock using the same button.. I might have to change that though or I just install a separate switch for the nitrous fuel pump. I just may not forget to activate it before a nitrous run..
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not use the horn button?

GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:

Don't have one Laughing

There's also no more wiring in my steering column as everything has been removed when I went with the Painless wiring harness..

I think that I'll just add a extra switch for the nitrous pump..
William Jones

28514.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My linelock button is on the steering wheel spoke so I can hold it while holding the steering wheel and have my other hand on the shifter. It scares me to think that you could forget to start the pump and the nitous still come on do you have a fuel pressure switch wired up to shut the Nos off if the fuel pressure drops? If so that will keep the Nitrous from activating without the fuel pump on.

Later Bam

GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Jones wrote:
My linelock button is on the steering wheel spoke so I can hold it while holding the steering wheel and have my other hand on the shifter. It scares me to think that you could forget to start the pump and the nitous still come on do you have a fuel pressure switch wired up to shut the Nos off if the fuel pressure drops? If so that will keep the Nitrous from activating without the fuel pump on.

Later Bam

How does the button on the steering wheel work? Is it wired through the column? Running wires through the column would be a major pain as the column would have to be disassembled.. Not a task that I want to do. I do have a low pressure switch on the nitrous side and the nitrous would not come on if there's no fuel pressure.
William Jones

28514.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have one of those flexible cable made by Hurst I believe it is zip tied to the column with some slack left in it so you can turn the wheel completly. I think it cost $20 from jegs or summit. works good. My steering wheel has flat steel spokes I drilled a hole in it and mounted it there. But the also make mounts the go around the wheel its self and will hold a switch.

You can see my button in the interior pics posted in the garage and get an idea of what I am talking about.

Later Bam

wagon train

7307.16 points

1983 Mercury Capri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
10sec.et wrote:

Don't have one Laughing

There's also no more wiring in my steering column as everything has been removed when I went with the Painless wiring harness..

I think that I'll just add a extra switch for the nitrous pump..

Bad idea,I seen and heard of people forgetting to turn pump on.It will be the fastest 330ft of all time then you will have to push it on the trailer.Do like Willian suggest some kind of main switch turn everything on for the NOS.

"BAKER"
10/5/50-11/7/06

"She doesn't seem to be breathing right,it might be the jets."-The Mechanic
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Jones wrote:
No I have one of those flexible cable made by Hurst I believe it is zip tied to the column with some slack left in it so you can turn the wheel completly. I think it cost $20 from jegs or summit. works good. My steering wheel has flat steel spokes I drilled a hole in it and mounted it there. But the also make mounts the go around the wheel its self and will hold a switch.

You can see my button in the interior pics posted in the garage and get an idea of what I am talking about.

Later Bam

I'll get one of those then... For now, I'm only going to make full nitrous passes anyways and won't need the push button activation yet..
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run both pumps all the time just use a recalculating circuit for the NOS as well as the main pump so that all of the fuel is sitting pressurized and ready to go the second the gas solenoid opens (just like the nitrous is after a purge with an open bottle).

Big Dave
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
I would run both pumps all the time just use a recalculating circuit for the NOS as well as the main pump so that all of the fuel is sitting pressurized and ready to go the second the gas solenoid opens (just like the nitrous is after a purge with an open bottle).

Big Dave

I'll probably run most of the time naturally aspirated.. Don't know if it's a good idea to have the additional draw on the electrical system.. Well, a fuel pump probably doesn't create a lot of draw... I'm running an alternator, so any draw will cost me power due to more resistance at the alternator..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: