Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

460 jetboat build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would decking a head NOT make your piston to valve clearence tighter?...... do you think going from a 95cc to a 86.8cc would take a exesive amount of cutting??
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1 wrote:
how would decking a head NOT make your piston to valve clearence tighter?...... do you think going from a 95cc to a 86.8cc would take a exesive amount of cutting??

You still have the same squish! If you decked the block we would be talking a totally different thing!
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1 wrote:

We just milled some Olds heads to reduce them by 14cc, it only took .040.

Make sure your intake side is cut too, so that your intake lines up without cutting it.

I have an idea for a simple calculator that I'm going to get with Smoke to write and add to the math section.

Hanz

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have tables you can look up that define how much a SBC looses from it's head surface per CC. Same with the BBC. I haven't seen one for the FE (BBF) because I haven't looked, but I'm sure someone has worked it out already.

If you machine the head to reduce compression you generally angle cut the head to take it off the combustion side more than the intake side (on wedge motors anyway). Your machinist should know to take a corresponding angled cut on the intake to get everything to line up again. You will be gasket matching both the head and the intake manifold after all machine work so you can verify alignment then.

And I agree if you cut the heads you move the valves closer to the pistons. But you were going to check piston to valve clearance anyway, right? So you may have to fly cut the pistons for clearance once you have mocked up the engine with the correct rocker arms and solid tappets of the same dimension as you will use in the final assembly (I had to buy two solid roller tappets to check valve clearance when I was running a hydraulic roller tappet cam to compensate for the piston moving when checking for clearance. Verify the tappets are the same height from pushrod seat to the bottom of the tappet in each.)

Big Dave
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1 wrote:

Valve to piston is a totally different place to go! Looking at that point of view you have to consider that.
airharley

129.60 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a head milling specs in my picture files. For instance say you wanted to shave .020 from the heads. You would then need to shave .020 from the sides and .028 from the bottom of the intake manifold. Just to give you an idea.

headmill.jpg
 Description:
460 head milling specs

Download
 Filename:  headmill.jpg
 Filesize:  52.46 KB
 Downloaded:  840 Time(s)

disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet.. that helps alot.

what rods are you running at what kind of hp level? any build tips would be welcome....

gvos

135.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1,

What was the casting # off of the heads on the CJ motor you bought? If it was a true 429CJ it would have been a DOOE-R.

If you haven't already bought the heads, there are better heads than the Edelbrocks out there for you to choose from. TFS streets, Ford Racing SCJ's, New Kaase p51's ect.

Also, by the time you bush the stock rods, you could probably get some new Ibeams or better yet Hbeams for it, that would be better insurance.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heads are junk passenger car heads, and I have already bought a set of Perf RPM's... Nice casting dont think the chamber is all that great but fot the price they will make good power...

Did end up going with some eagle Sir i-beams, as well as there cast nod iron crank... I found out that the crank that was in the motor was a 429 crank, Im not at my home office so i cant recall the exact number but I believe its the smallest stroke that was put in a BBF..

I still have it, 20/20 balanced w/ cham oil holes, If anyone is interested PM me.....

Movin along ended up with .047 quench hieght and a 87cc chamber after angle milling the heads.. Will be installing that cumtom multi grind soon.. waiting for the pistons to come back from the machine shop(flycuts)... Blueprinting a custom motor is extreemly tedious, but so worth it.... Hopefully....

tahiti cowboy

158.40 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your running ca impeller with a 460 what kind of ropm you ternion or haven't got that far yet iamb running a A dominator impeller and I turn5900 ropm and what is the numbers and letters on the inside of the heads you said just pass heads are they da2sa da3sa I've been running baff in my jet for a long time with know problem I building a turbo 544 right know for my boat
tahiti cowboy

158.40 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spelling didnt come out right for some reason
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I just got back from the river this evening, The boat ran great! The motor is strong and we got it up to around 80mph on just the motor!

I think he ended up using a B impellar. the motor moves good out the hole and tachs out about 5800rpm leaving plenty of room for some nitrous to push it hopfully into the mid 80's

I think the combo works well together...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: