Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Dual plain intake mods....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Dual plain intake mods.... Reply with quote

Im finishing this boat build finnally and the budjet did not allow for a new victor intake manifold.. We will swap one in next season but for now I want to get as much as i can out of the weiand stealth thats on there now.

I plan on running a one inch spacer and a 1/2 inch nitrous plate between the spacer and the carb.

Is there anything to gain by notching the divider out? I havnt even looked at a dual plain in a while but I know that most are not notched while edelbrock's air gap is notched..

I assume this increaces plemum volume....?

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my guess. A dual plane intake normally has the carb basically split into halves. Each cylinder bore only "sees" two barrels at a time. This is one reason you can normally run a larger carburetor on a dual plane than a single plane. The single plane allows each cylinder to draw from all 4 barrels. I believe the notch is a step toward letting each cylinder share the entire carburetor and I believe it is only present on dual planes that are trying to stretch the rpm range a dual plane can be effective at - just like the RPM air gap which is effective at lower rpm's due to runner length I assume and the notch can help at higher rpm ranges as does the larger cross section runners on this intake. If your 1" spacer is of the open design, I don't think the notch will gain anything as the open spacer has already served the purpose of letting each cylinder share the entire carb. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: