Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Which Parts Houses Make The Grade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Buyer & Seller Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwcc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Which Parts Houses Make The Grade? Reply with quote

Since no one has posted in this section, I was wondering if we could broaden the description to include online parts suppliers?

If not then Mods please move this where you may.

Here's the short list of parts houses I have had good luck with.

Speedway Motors:
Amongst over 5000.00 worth of sales I have had 2 small problems. 1st I was shorted a few misalignment bushings and they overnighted them no questions asked. 2nd one of the rod ends that came with the adjustable front suspension arms had the threads boogered up and they overnighted me another one again no questions asked.

Northern Auto Parts:I've got some good deals through them, I've had good customer service.

Summit Racing:
I have heard of others having troubles with Summit, I have yet to have problems. Honestly I am a little cautious of them.

Jegs: 6 months ago I ordered $1500.00 in parts and FedEx lost 1 of the 5 packages. I got on the phone to Jegs and they shipped it out 2 day express on the same day I called.

4 Wheel Parts:
This is another great company that you can sometime find good deals with. Not only is this a online parts house but they also have store in several states.

JCWhitney: Its been awhile ago but ,I bought a supercharger through them when they offered a 0 interest deferred payment deal. The customer service was good but the customer support wasn't the best. I had a few questions as to what exactly the kit came with and they didn't know since the SC was shipped factory direct.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse)? Other than they need to enter into the 21st century and offer a complete online catalog.

Now whats everyone else's experience?
10sec.et

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most recent ive done business with is Speedway Motors. i was very pleased with them. i ordered online and the rotors were backordered for 3-4 weeks Shocked . they immediately sent me an email telling me this and with a phone call we were able to substitute (upgrade) a set of Wilwoods and ship the order. many other places just let you wait a week or so THEN tell you theres a backorder.

i quit using Summit years ago after the third time calling for info on something in their catalog only to have the salesman re-read the catalog description to me and tell me thats all he knows without even attempting to look up info somewhere else.

Jegs has been very good to me. the orders ship promptly, problems are quickly resolved and if i have questions i can at least get a phone number to someone that can help.

Moser is also extremely helpful.

i didnt even know PAW still existed Confused

Last edited by 10sec.et on Wed May 02, 2007 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
beersngars

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Summit is just the opposite. They are only about 40 minutes away so I get to look at what the parts are before leaving. The few times I have had a problem, they took care of it ASAP.

Strange Engineering is top shelf.

Parr Automotive is good for a lot of odd ball stuff.

RCI is a pain in the ass. Hope to not to ever use them again.

Rossler Tranmissions is a one stop deal. You get to talk to the owner himself and they make SURE you are happy.
pro60chevy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done business with Jegs and Summit more than I want to think about. Both have been great, and both have gone out of their way to make sure I was happy.

I have two companies on my "bad" list.

Pro Glass, for Lexan windows. This joker is famous for telling you your windows will be shipped in "two weeks" It's been almost 3 years since the last promse.

Reactor for flexplates. This is another joker that makes a promise to call you back, and never does. Numerous calls to order a flexplate that was on the shelf. It's been 2 months now, and I never heard a word.

Lonestar Racing - Great!!
Nitrous Supply - Awesome!
Tim McAmis - Great!
Stroud - Great!
Wires & Pliers - Awesome!
Simpson - Great!
RacePak - Awesome!
BTE - Great!
FB Transmissions - Awesome!
Mark Williams - Awesome!
Big Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I either use my local speed shop (I want him to stay alive because he is a friend who has been eking out a living since 1966) or when he can not get a product for me I call up Jegís and Summit (alternating orders). I have dropped over $18,000 at Jegís in one year and all I ever got back in terms of customer recognition was a double shipment of two catalogues at a time. I have spent more ($32,000) with Summit but not all in one calendar year.

My buddy Jeff sends me a Christmas car and calls me on my birthday even though I donít spend any were near as much with him. When NAPA used to honor 30 day net accounts I got hats, catalogues, calendars, and a heart felt thank you every time I walked out the door. Unfortunately, NAPA has dropped their Net account for local jobbers and their new hires do not know what catalogue to look in for any part I may want half the time. (They keep telling me there is no such thing as a 1985 BBC Impala when I tell them the application, because when I tell them the part number I want they insist on looking it up for themselves as it is "company policy").

Only complaint I ever had was with an AN fitting that was supposed to come with a male and a female piece according to the Jegís catalogue. It only shipped with the male half and I had a devil of a time getting the female half of the fitting because they didnít have a listing for it, even though they were willing to argue that they were supposed to billed and ordered as two different part numbers. An $8 error out of $50,000 isnít to shabby so I do not know why they would have a bad rep. Never had a problem with Summit of any kind (hate their spokesman though as I am a Warren Johnson fan).

Moser is great; Currie is also very knowledgeable, but I have only bought one rear end in my life and I had to decide between them.

SSBC has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful, as has Wilwood.

I am less than enthused with TCI but their warranty is good and they were prompt and unquestioning in filling my claim, just not crazy about the value of their products.

Big Dave
af2

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
(They keep telling me there is no such thing as a 1985 BBC Impala when I tell them the application, because when I tell them the part number I want they insist on looking it up for themselves as it is "company policy").

Moser is great; Currie is also very knowledgeable, but I have only bought one rear end in my life and I had to decide between them.

I am less than enthused with TCI but their warranty is good and they were prompt and unquestioning in filling my claim, just not crazy about the value of their products.

Big Dave

Dave, you are funny!
The crazy thing is no body knows parts any more!!

I really give them a curve ball when I say it's a 33 Willys Twisted Evil

Speed was the last one I dealt with and If I hadent spoke to MSD I would have been going through the grinder!

Summit has been good on the returns. No questions asked!

I am sending my converter back to Redneck performance tomorrow to have them loosen it and remove the sprag. The cost is minimal compared to the big names!

I found out what I already know about stall! retard

6000 is the #
disturbthepeace1

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying a redneck converter myself, Would you recomend it?

Summit is my main source of parts, never shorted a order but I got about $120 worth of -10AN fittings for free once.. someone was pissed..

Chet Herbert race parts and Clay smith cams are some of the local shops. all have been great......

10sec.et

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pro60chevy wrote:
Mark Williams - Awesome!

forgot about them Embarassed . also great to deal with

Big Dave wrote:
I have dropped over $18,000 at Jegís in one year and all I ever got back in terms of customer recognition was a double shipment of two catalogues at a time.

i actually got a silver anniversary jacket from Summit years ago. i guess i just always get the a$$hole salesman when i call.

BTW, i had to remove some of the smileys from my other post... very annoying when i read it.

af2

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1 wrote:
I was thinking of buying a redneck converter myself, Would you recomend it?

All I can say is that they are the best to deal with!!
The problems I had with the case had nothing to do with the valve body they sent to try and help my situation!

They sent another brake valve body and never said a word!!!!!!!

I called them about the converter and they said send it and we will remove the sprag and add the stall for about $!50.00

What more can you ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeep_406

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as PAW is concerned. I use to buy crank kits from them for Small block Chevy's until I got one that was supposed to be .010/.010, only one of the throws was .020. They didn't mark it and sent rod & main bearings that were .010 under. No note or anything to warn me of one throw being off. I never heard of a machine shop doing that.
That was years ago but it still gets me going just to think of it. Twisted Evil

I try to buy everything from a Speed Shop in Nashua, NH that sponsors the ET Street Class I run in at New England Dragway.
Knarley Darley

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 if you remove the sprag your car will slow down. Upping the stall is a good idea though. All the spragless crap is just that-crap.
nwcc

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:

Big Dave

I have found that alot of places no longer are willing to carry Wilwood because they make empty promises to retailers (or so I've been told) I ordered some seal kits direct from them and they were on my door step 3 days later.

Big Dave wrote:
I either use my local speed shop

I also support my local Baxter auto parts. Its kind of a cool deal. Baxters has 30 or so stores and thier own local warehouse. What makes this so cool is that they stock most anything a racer could want and can have it in your hands in less that 4 hours. To make it even better... they now price match Jegs and Summit but they include the 10.00 handling fee that jegs and Summit impose per item.

Edit: I sound like a bad advertisement Embarassed
William Jones

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal-Tracs---very good
summit---good
jegs---good
crane---very good
MPG Heads---good
Dark Horse racing---good
Dan Neuuman---excellent
Green Flag---excellent
Currie---excellent
Precision Shaft Technologies---excellent
Upr---excellent
Wells performance---good
CarX---excellent
My only bad expeirence is with Demon Carbs techline

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
af2

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Need for a Sprag Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
af2 if you remove the sprag your car will slow down. Upping the stall is a good idea though. All the spragless crap is just that-crap.

Not to be off topic:
Knarley could you elaborate on the sprag? I might be wrong but always read they have about a 600 HP limit. I still don't understand the reason for running one on a race only application.
Knarley Darley

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off all turbo 400s have a sprag. The stock sprag has 4 elements, and the after market sprag has 34 elements. I run a t-400 and my engine makes 850 rwhp and 740 rwtq. Those are uncorrected #s, and I launch at between 6200 to 7200 rpm. My converter stalls to 8000 at 800 feet above sea level with the limiter off. I tried the "spragless" and slowed over 2 tenths and almost 4 mph. The way it was explained to me is that in high gear the spragless limits the converters ability to multiply torque, and I am in high gear about 500 feet into the run. With a small block I think it is going to hurt you even more, and for the record 6000 is not loose enough for your combo based on your posted shift points and max rpm- plus I watched your video and your car bogs and is losing alot of time off the line because the converter is way to tight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Buyer & Seller Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: