Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Fastest C3 Corvette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Fastest C3 Corvette Reply with quote

C3,
There is Mike Saiki's 8 second 72 vette on Page 24 of the June issue of Chevy High Performance. He is currently running a 377 inch mill. 8.98@155 if you want to be the fastest in the country I think this one is your competition. He is running the Tom's Diff as well.Check it out!
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading in the SEP 2006 Hot Rod in my doctors office about a '68 owned by Steve Hoch that runs 7's on a four hundred horse shot of NOS and 9.23 on his normally aspirated 540 carburetored BBC motor (726 hp). He runs it at the pump gas street car drags were he came in ninth. I think a 7.80 pass defines a street car, don't you? (He drives the car 1,500 miles to the meet towing a U-Haul sport trailer so I guess it is streetable). Like any good racer he wants to go faster so now he is building an all aluminum block 540 that will knock 200 pounds off the nose of his car for this years competition. The Hoosier 29 x 10.50 tires are the limiting factor in his times so far as he claims to be traction limited (but 200 pounds off the nose should have him running near 8's NA).

Big Dave
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave,
Does he still run the stock style independent rear suspension like C3 and this guy? That is fast no doubt....
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it was the Tom's Dif 12 bolt conversion set up. I miss red the artcle it is only a 8.30 car on NOS not 7.80
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave,
Thats what I was talking about Toms conversion is still stock type independent. That is what C3 and Mike are running. Just not tubbed with solid axle.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still an IRS suspension that bolts to the stock frame mount, but it is far from being stock.

As I understand it the stock ring and pinion are swapped out for twelve bolt parts with 31 spline stub axles and half shafts that could move a cement truck. I agree it isn't a simple nine inch live axle (that I would think would be the most expedient and simplest to set up), and it allows the 'vette to remain a 'vette; while giving it enough beef to drag race, as well as road race.

Everyone has to agree whether it is a first gen a Sting Ray, a Shark or C4, C5, or new C6 the 'vette was and still is the best engineered car in America (did the C4 C5 or C6 ever get a show car to copy?). Donít know anyone who doesnít want one; just wish I could fit in one.

Big Dave
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Eaton has the fastest Independent Rear Suspension C3 that I know of even though I've heared that there's one running high 7's...

http://home.earthlink.net/~geaton

I hope to be in the 8's myself with my '68 with the new setup.. Initially I'll be running on engine or a 100 shot but once I'll step up to a 250 - 400 shot, I should be in the upper 8's..

My long term goal is to have the fastest Independent Rear Suspension Vette in the world but it'll take me some more time to get there..
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Nope it was the Tom's Dif 12 bolt conversion set up. I miss red the artcle it is only a 8.30 car on NOS not 7.80

That's the exact same setup that I'm running.. I haven't heared about anybody managing to break one.. The u-joints on that setup are 1480 series, about 5+ times stronger than 1350 series u-joints..

A friend of mine who has a pump gas, street driven '67 C2 Vette has a Dana 60 IRS setup. I've never seen anybody else with that setup... He runs a 540 big block on pump gas in the 10.0 range.. The car has about 3600 lbs with him in it (he's a big guy)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Corvette All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: