Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

SPAM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: SPAM Reply with quote

2x4... Just sent me a PM telling me about some SPAM that appears to be approved by SMOKEmUP.com.
This email is not from SMOKEmUP, it's SPAM!.

After a little investigation it appears his email was obtained from a bot program searching for email addressed and found his listed publicly.

I recommend everyone change their profile preferences to "No" for "Always show my e-mail address:".
This should reduce the SPAM you receive. I recommend never to post your email address on the internet, unless you like spam.
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree another good free way to avoid it is to nightly go to:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

and run a complete free scan it really does pick up all the crap you dont want on your computer and they are actually capable of picking up more than Norton and McAffee put together, and removing it.

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just saw a great offer for Midal or some darn drug a second ago but by the time I got my witty repartee typed it was gone.

Quote:
Boy oh boy were do I sign up. That's why I am a member of a car board; just to get access to these great offers. Makes me wish I knew where they were so I could send them a GPS guided present (500 pounder should do it but wait, if you send me your GPS coordinates now at no additional charge we will double your surprise pay load to a thousand fun filled pounds on high energy chemistry.

Big Dave
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Hey I just saw a great offer for Midal or some darn drug a second ago but by the time I got my witty repartee typed it was gone.

It's getting bad. I've probably banned several hundred IP addresses in the last week.

I'm at the point where I might start admin approval will be required to register on the site. That would totally suck because if I'm not sitting at the computer going over approvals new valid users might not register. I'm hoping to avoid that but these spammers are driving me nuts.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

It's getting bad. I've probably banned several hundred IP addresses in the last week.

I'm at the point where I might start admin approval will be required to register on the site. That would totally suck because if I'm not sitting at the computer going over approvals new valid users might not register. I'm hoping to avoid that but these spammers are driving me nuts.

I think that might be necessary as the spammers seem to be taking over Sad
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Maybe time to have to have a chat with your friendly moderator or admin before getting to play on the board? Have everyone sit in limbo till they get an authorization code (or pass some initiation rite) to join in the fun.

Big Dave
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you run the risk of legitimate posters saying screw this and going elsewhere..and there are precious few legitimate posters here as it is. Unfortunately there are too many specialized forums across the internet, we're all members of them. You're always going to have spam, you moderators and Smoke have the ability(I would hope) to remove spammers once they're identified. As for the rest of us, I find that ignoring them is very effective, if you make a big deal about what they post they seem to stick around. My unsolicited opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: