Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Rack and pinion for Nova

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Rack and pinion for Nova Reply with quote

I finally decided to try to do something to the front end to aid handling a little more. After pricing everything to rebuild what I have including the steering box, I was really close to a rack and pinion setup. I bought one and I'll let everybody know how the installation goes, but right now it looks really simple to do. I also ordered polygraphite bushings and new ball joints. Should take some weight off too, I'll weigh the parts and post that info too. Clay
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay,
Are you going to change the front springs while you have it apart?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Moroso trick springs in it for a while so I'll leave them in. I'm just rebuilding everything now concerning the bushings and steering to cover a base I'm not sure about. I haven't really seen any problems as far as loose motion in anything, but everything is still pretty old (not originals, but still pretty old) and I just want to look everything over and upgrade to better parts while I'm at it for my safety (and others as well). Clay
Big Dave

120325.10 points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polygraphite are ok for the street but on a race car I would look to nylon (aka Delarin) instead. Check this site out for sizes:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=8765&product_id=12806&cookie%5Ftest=1

You can also buy them encapsulated in steel cases with grease fittings, ready to go. From several sources. The Polygraphites bushings do not articulate freely being a series of little jerks to move up and down. I don't think you would want to add that hassle to trying to figure your front end geometry to minimize wheel drag.

Big Dave
af2

71399.52 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delarin is also too brittle for street use. Been there and went with impregnated bronze in my application. I had a few tons of side load I didn't equate. Embarassed
10sec.et

347028.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, does that rack come as a kit or are you going to have to do some fabricating to get it in there ?

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to stick with the polygraphite since the car is primarily street driven with an occasional trip down the track. A friend put them in his 72 Monte Carlo and has had great results. It is against my nature, but I bought a kit and should have to do very little if any fabrication. It comes with the rack, which has been shortened to work with the Nova geometry (to reduce or eliminate bump steer I assume by getting the pivot points correct) and it has a bracket that mount on the lower rear control arm bolts which are replaced with longer ones supplied. One thing that sort of ticks me off is the steering shaft isn't supplied and the writeup sort of leads you to believe it is. I mean, you have to have one, why is it a seperate thing? Anyway, it's sort of pricey, so I might fabricate one if it can be done fairly easily and safely. Clay
10sec.et

347028.52 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpsteer was going to be my next question. i/we would like to see some pics when you get it installed. im putting a rack in my car and bumpsteer is my main concern.

i fabricated my own steering shaft from donor cars. i wouldnt weld it up solid for safety reasons. im using 1/4" roll pins to connect the sections that slip together. you want the shaft to be able to collapse in the event of a frontal collision so it doesnt become a spear aimed at your chest.

af2

71399.52 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the ball/socket is the same width as the upper and lower in a line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: