Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

525 HP 4.6???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: 525 HP 4.6??? Reply with quote

Thought I'd sneak in here and tell about a car in our dealership today. A guy stopped in to pitch his companys Stang kits. They take 05 or newer GT's and put a bunch of scoops and louverd air dams and spoilers on the body. They change seat covers, add gauges and do some pretty cool things to the dash. Now for the wierd part. He claims 525 hp out of a very lightly modified 4.6. Shocked They use a Procharger, some electronics and an exhaust system. The top of the engine appears stock right down to the injectors and manifolds. I asked if the motor had been out and the answer was "no need, these things will hold even more than this". The full price is about $25000 and is said to include the dyno sheets. It was real cool looking, but I can't see that hp level. They also are supposed to be working on a 625 hp "R" version. I was in on the conversation for about 10 min and did get to see him jump on it leaving. It did sound OK but...did'nt move like an animal. Any thoughts?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procharger and Vortech both have kits making 500 - 550 h.p. with just the supercharger kits alone - stock mufflers, intake, cams - everything. I believe they do a fuel pump and injector upgrade to support the h.p. Go to Procharger.com and check it out - very impressive. Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Procharger and Vortech both have kits making 500 - 550 h.p. with just the supercharger kits alone - stock mufflers, intake, cams - everything. I believe they do a fuel pump and injector upgrade to support the h.p. Go to Procharger.com and check it out - very impressive. Clay

I knew Clay would answer and is the reason I kept my mouth shut for once Laughing Those things put out some great boost = H.P.
geartech

138.96 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all I have one of these supercharger setups on a 05 mustang gt. running 11 psi boost. the level of power he is stating must be at the crank because when they make that kind of power at the wheels the pistons and rods don't last long. seems ford decided to decrease the ring lands at the top to decrease unscavanged cyl area for emissions and they start to collapse under heavy stress loads ( around 450 hp and 420 tq at the wheels. Mines making right at the limits 440 hp and 420tq. Now if I can just keep it hooked and keep torque prediciton tables from going into failsafe I might get to drive it had for once. Torque predict is another flybywire safety feature Ford gave us on the new stang.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geartech wrote:
Torque predict is another flybywire safety feature Ford gave us on the new stang.

i wonder if Procharger and Vortech have found a way around this. surely theres a way to turn off that monitor in the PCM.

rookietuner

161.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is software available to turn off torque limiters. I have seen a product called Sniper that allows you to do this. It is a must if you supercharge or turbocharge these vehicles otherwise you will never receive any benefits from the modification. I have also been told that the rods go after around 450hp.
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since you guys brought it up. I have just changed the 05 vortech proto type car from a automatic to a 5 speed. This was the car that they built the first kit on and then had it C.A.R.B.(California air recources board)approved, so it is legal in 50 states. The blower is inner cooled and the fuel pump and injectors were changed. They tuned it and it made 380 at the tire. They do not own the car by the way, one of my customers does. Anyway the thing was just not that impressive, sooooo we put headers and dual 3" exhaust with high flow cats, then we had it retuned with bigger injectors than the first ones, and a smaller pulley on the blower. It made 458 at the wheels, but started driving through the trans. We tried everything to get it to shift on time, but it was totally inconsistant because it would rev so quick in first gear that half the time it would hit the rev limiter and go into fail safe, or reduced power. Totally obnoxious. So I changed it to a 5 speed and had it tuned yet again and now it made 482 at the tire.We havent managed to blow it up yet, but we are not finished yet either. Because of that torque limit thing it kept going into fail safe, so we raised it up and lost all driveability. I am a little stumped right now because we are using the sniper and you cant get rid of the torque limiter, only raise or lower it, and there seems to be a very fine line between max power and no driveability. The Fords are infinitely harder to tune than the GM cars, and the GM trans can also be tuned (line pressure raised) to easily handle the power. Anyway The guy claiming 525 has got to be at the crank because the one I am doing right now is totally maxed, and I am very concerned about the pistons and rods staying in the engine.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley have you been following the thread on SpeedTalk.com about aluminum blocks and powder metal rods? They are talking about the LS-x series of engines but the you will encounter the same thing with the modular engine. The LS-x rods are probably stronger by virtue of being more massive but will have the same issues with being disposable. And they both share the aluminum head and aluminum block issues. You are probably making way over 500 horse at the flywheel which is why the warranty department from Ford is fighting you in proxie via the torque limiter in the ECM. Good Luck.

Big Dave
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont expect any warranty. We knew it was void the day we modified, and you wouldnt believe how hard it was to switch transmissions. I dont think that is meant to be done at all because the keys have a chip in them that matches the computer, but that is a story for another day.
rookietuner

161.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley I see you are using Sniper, you might want to check and see if you have the lastest update for the template. You should be able to completely turn off the torque limiters or adjust them to a level that allows better driveability.
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rookie. Ours is about 2 1/2 years old and I actually think somthing is wrong with it, so we are getting the latest one. The frustrating thing is it ran perfect with the automatic, and even reloading that exact program doesnt even seem to be in the ball park now. Anyway thanks, and I will keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Mustang All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: