Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Do I have an Eaton posi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oregonchevelle

2194.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Do I have an Eaton posi? Reply with quote

I have a 3.08 posi rearend in my 66 chevelle. I am not sure it is the original but it is an original 66 rearend. Would it be an Eaton or maybe something else?
af2

71399.52 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have an Eaton posi? Reply with quote

oregonchevelle wrote:
I have a 3.08 posi rearend in my 66 chevelle. I am not sure it is the original but it is an original 66 rearend. Would it be an Eaton or maybe something else?

If it is a posi it will be an Eaton!
Big Dave

120325.10 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the factory original posi it is an Eaton. You can identify it by the clutch packs visible each side on top of the spider gears held in place by a package of springs loaded at about 200 pounds pressure.

An Auburn posi uses two clutch cones (like the shuttle clutch on a Ford construction tractor or an old Gravely lawn mower). The True-Trac / Detroit-Locker style uses ratchets and pawls to lock the rear, nothing to wear out and few if any adjustments to make but they are a little brutal on the street (either it is open or it is LOCKED solid, they also make a lot of noise that the cone and clutches do not make).

Big Dave
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
If it is the factory original posi it is an Eaton. You can identify it by the clutch packs visible each side on top of the spider gears held in place by a package of springs loaded at about 200 pounds pressure.

An Auburn posi uses two clutch cones (like the shuttle clutch on a Ford construction tractor or an old Gravely lawn mower). The True-Trac / Detroit-Locker style uses ratchets and pawls to lock the rear, nothing to wear out and few if any adjustments to make but they are a little brutal on the street (either it is open or it is LOCKED solid, they also make a lot of noise that the cone and clutches do not make).

Big Dave

The Detroit locker is quite a bit different than the True-Trac.

The Detroit Truetrac was the first unit available to the aftermarket featuring a fully automatic gear-type limited-slip design (no clutch or friction plates). The helical gear design provides quiet and smooth operation while transferring the most torque to the wheel with the best traction. This product is very universal. It will provide traction in off-road, drag racing and street performance vehicles without affecting the handling for everyday street use.

I put one in my 9" but have yet to try it out.
oregonchevelle

2194.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a place where I can look at all these to see which it is? I think it is the Eaton though.
Big Dave

120325.10 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct I was thinking of the True-Trak product which is the cheaper version from Detroit Locker which unfortunately isn't available for all rear ends (they were supposed to have released a 12 bolt 35 spline version but I never heard anything more than "coming announcements". The locker is indeed a helical (worm/spur design) gear which can drive, but can not be driven (so it locks if the wheel slips).

Big Dave
oregonchevelle

2194.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looking in the summit catalog and it looks like an Eaton to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: