Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

need 383 help/advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livestock227

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: need 383 help/advice Reply with quote

i have a 95 s-10 w/5 speed tranny. i am on a very tight budget,so lets start with the stuff i have. a 3970010 block a stock 400 crank ,i have 4 sets of heads all intermediete 3 of them are 333882 and the other 462624 which look like they would flow very well but ive heard bad things .
im gonna have the crank turned and the block bored .030 over and tanked ,i also have the edlebrock rpm intake and the 750 edlebrock 4 barrel carb
i need some one to help me with the know how to tell me what to do to the heads ,what cam i need , what pistons to use and such
i will be driving this every day but want the truck to scoot
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that they have to turn the mains down to 350 diameter, right? This can cost 150-200 depending on where you are. Most shops around here stopped doing it (it is a PIA) since aftermarket cranks are so readily available and affordable.

What about rods? Use the 5.7 350 rods if you have them. Buy pistons to match. It won't take much for that truck to 'scoot,' use the 882 heads to keep compression (and therefor temp) down. Just take them to your machine shop and have them done. Nothing fancy needed, maybe pin the studs if you can't afford screw-in and guide plates.I have heard that S10 cooling is an issue, but no personal experience.

Cam depends on how streetable you want. I like old corvette grinds, like the 327/350HP grind, or if you want bigger, summits .488 lift 234 adv duration is a nice one.

Of course you need a 400 balancer and flywheel

GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.7 rods? Howcome?

Most I hear is to use the 6.0 rods if you need new rods and pistons.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use 6" rods, but he said he is on a tight budget, so I thought he might have the rods out of the 350 already. If he has to buy rods, yes I would go 6", although pistons are a few dollars more, and the sides of the rods should be clearanced for cam lobe clearance. Actually, I do that on 5.7 rods also to be safe. A couple cam lobes are within a hair of the rod or even touching slightly.
livestock227

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have all the stock parts for the 350 5.7 rods ,thanks for the quick replies keep em comin please,also any one know about makin the stock rear end posi a shop in town here will do it for 175. but will it hold up to the stroker power?
2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a weak rear end - isnt it the same as in the 3rd & 4th gen camaros (7.5")? If it were me building on a budget, I wouldnt worry about that till it snaps, just to save extra $$$ for the engine. A posi rear will probably be mandatory (hey smokey!) unless you plan on doing the one wheel peel!

Be sure you get the lower end balanced. The amount of material taken off my stocker 5.7 rods was unbelievable. Its a big chunk of change, but worth it if you want it to live long. I paid $250 to get mine spin balanced and never regretted it. Remember its a lot easier to swap heads than low-end parts, so I would not scrimp on the lower end if money is a question.
Xhiron

120.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good rear end swap is a 2nd gen F body 8.5" 10 bolt. They're only a slight bit wider than 3rd gen rears and will hold up to way more power than any 7.5". It'll cost about 300$ for the rearend plus welding work without new gearing. You'll need some spacers though, around 2" per side. Long wheel studs are required. Its well worth it, I've seen ppl with power in the 500+ range without any problems on stock units. Of course, a 9", 12 bolt or Dana 60 would be a better swap, but these 8.5's are easy to find at most local boneyards, and the posi units have an Eaton posi which is rather stout. Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: