Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

How much ET improvement could I expect?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: How much ET improvement could I expect? Reply with quote

My car is currently running 10.70's in the summer heat and I hope for 10.30's on a cold winter day..
Let's assume that the car would run 10.35 on engine and I'd add a 100 shot of nitrous and I would only spray in high gear (just before the 1/8 mile), would it be possible to gain .36 if I'd only spray in high gear?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your luck is like mine, it would gain exactly 0.34 Smile . Why wouldn't you want to spray it earlier? I think you could absolutely gain what you are looking for, but I think you would have to spray it earlier to achieve it - not necessairly from home, but on the 1 - 2 shift should do it. Clay
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
If your luck is like mine, it would gain exactly 0.34 Smile . Why wouldn't you want to spray it earlier? I think you could absolutely gain what you are looking for, but I think you would have to spray it earlier to achieve it - not necessairly from home, but on the 1 - 2 shift should do it. Clay

The weak point of the TH200R4 transmissions is the 2 - 3 shift. That's what most frequently breaks.. Don't want to risk spraying through the shift.
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn it off before you shift into 3rd if you're worried about the shift. My gut's telling me you'll need to spray it harder than a 100 to gain .36 seconds in 3rd gear only. Gonna be close though.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and you get the most gain in any drag race out of the hole.

I would hammer it once the RPM climbs above 5400 with a nitrous controller pulling out the timing and bringing the gas on in stages; if your worried about breakage (two stages of 75hp each should get you were you want to be). It is hard to gain on the top end with a small block (even a 406 is small, compared to the cubes available to the big block you're going to find yourself competing against once you drop into the nines). In my experience (which has been limited at the track lately), you do not want to be playing catch up, if you don't have to.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked through some options and I might go with the 3000 on - 6000 off setup.. However, I'd like a .5 second delay on the on switch.. Don't know how easy it is to set up such setup.. That way I could spray during the entire pass except for the shifts..

I'll only need to gain .4 or even less.. Let's see how fast I'll get the car on engine. I'll try to get some cold weather runs in this winter and then I'll see if it's worth spraying. Won't go higher than a 100 shot. I might manually retard the timing by about 2 degrees which should be enough for a small shot - right?
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dave. Hit it hard out of the hole and let it off before the shift you are worried about. You will not lose much on top without it. If your like the rest of us the temptation to spray it all the way will be to great.LOL
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
I agree with Dave. Hit it hard out of the hole and let it off before the shift you are worried about. You will not lose much on top without it. If your like the rest of us the temptation to spray it all the way will be to great.LOL

I might end up spraying all except through the shifts with the on/off RPM switch.. I just don't want to break the tranny..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: