Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick 5150 69

1187.42 points

1937 Ford Business Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: compressor Reply with quote

? guys, in the market for a new compressor, mine finally died a slow death, what would be your choice, mfg and any specifics, 220 volt not a problem, also Smoke, how come I have to log on twice to post, do I got to refresh my cookies, crackers, wine and cheese or what.....? Rick
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on what you use it for, my Craftsman has lasted me over ten years and will run most air tools such as air ratchets, impact guns, nail guns, and HVLP paint guns. however, if you do a lot of body work, i havent found a Craftsman compressor that can keep up with most air sanders. is it for shop or home?

beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an Ingersol Rand 60 gal single stage. Got it from TSC on sale for $499.00. I looked for quite a while and it looked to be the best buy in the range. Keep in mind, if you use lots of air and need over 135 PSI on a regular basis, you may want a two stage. All in all, I really like mine and you know IR will be around down the road should you need parts.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beersngars wrote:
I just bought an Ingersol Rand 60 gal single stage. Got it from TSC on sale for $499.00. I looked for quite a while and it looked to be the best buy in the range. Keep in mind, if you use lots of air and need over 135 PSI on a regular basis, you may want a two stage. All in all, I really like mine and you know IR will be around down the road should you need parts.

thats close to what i paid for my Craftsman. would much rather have IR. out of all the air tools i have bought IR (IMO) is the best.

beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
beersngars wrote:

thats close to what i paid for my Craftsman. would much rather have IR. out of all the air tools i have bought IR (IMO) is the best.

The regular price on mine is $559.00 at TSC. If you don't have a TSC nearby, Northern Tool had them for $579.00 and free shipping.
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an I/R as well. It is quiet and has been working well for several years.

Art
Rick 5150 69

1187.42 points

1937 Ford Business Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for home, paint guns, some small die grinders and sanders if it will support them, I too have been looking at IR, probably 2 stage, definately a cast iron head, maybe a 60 gallon upright, for space, anything else you guys can think of....
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an upright 27 gallon single stage 115V coleman compressor. It's ok and so far has held up great. But for a shop where it's not moving around, get a dual stage 230V. The big thing I would look at it the noise output. My little compressor works pretty good but is so damn noisey. Quiet gets my vote.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any compressor can get you enough pressure it is always about the volume of air at a given pressure you have to worry about. A two stage compressor moves more air but I haven't seen less than a five horse engine on most of them. Even at 230 volt you are looking at a 20 amp circuit (16 amp draw to run plus in-rush current to start). With that kind of a load on your house hold box (generally limited to 120 amps) every time it comes on your lights will dim for a second (which isn't bad unless some one is on the computer or you have a digital TV).

You can get by with a single stage two horse and still get about 6.4 SCFM @90 PSI which will run any air tool except body shop tools which consume more air. To get buy you can hook up a secondary tank for those few times you need more volume and take a break when you hear the compressor running nearly continuously to refill the larger tank volume. This fix won't work for painting however, but because of toxicity you shouldn't be painting at home anyway.

Big Dave
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of living "on the cheap", I have come to the conclusion that saving and buying the better one of almost anything is better in the long run. Also, If you ever look at air tools in a catalog where you can compare many differen't models, I have noticed that the more you pay(top of the line models) the less volume of air they usually require, I'm guessing effeciency.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another brain fart that I have had and not had time to actually try is to run the compressor exhaust through an old A/C condensor placed outside the shop in cooler air to cool it before the storage tank. They should be fine with 125 p.s.i. or so but finding one with large enough tubes might be a problem, if they are cheap enough, run two in parallel - I don't know yet - just food for thought. Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Another brain fart that I have had and not had time to actually try is to run the compressor exhaust through an old A/C condensor placed outside the shop in cooler air to cool it before the storage tank. They should be fine with 125 p.s.i. or so but finding one with large enough tubes might be a problem, if they are cheap enough, run two in parallel - I don't know yet - just food for thought. Clay

Clay, the only problem is they will condensate leaving more moisture in the system. As far as PSI, condensers on residential and commercial are tested a minimum of 400 lbs. Silfos is pretty strong!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air will cool off somewhere and let the moisture condense out regardless. I was thinking this might let the moisture condense right before and be pushed into the tank and maybe stay there so it can be drained on a regular schedule like we all do - right Rolling Eyes . One problem I have had in the past is when I port heads, after an hour or so, the storage tanks have gotten so hot that the final place the moisture condenses is at the die grinder since it is the coolest thing in the system. Now granted, I don't need dry air for what I do because I never paint, the water just gets old spewing out of the grinder after a while. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: