Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

daily driver build.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a58chevy

189.56 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: daily driver build. Reply with quote

I'm looking at building 383 for my '68 Impala daily driver.

It currently has a fresh powerglide and the stock 3.23 (? not postivie) rear end.

Basically I'm looking for a cam size and a cylinder head to make a shitload of torque. My budget isn't really in the aluminum head range but I would be able to go mechanical flat tappet on the cam.
I'm interested in the new Bow-tie Vortechs and I was also checking out the Lunati Voodoo cams..also anything to say about Rhoads Lifters? Do they do what they claim?

I would like reasonable MPG but running premium is ok.

And another question is a 600cfm edelborck too small for a 383 if it isn't screaming rpms? I just bought it to replace a worn out old Holley 600 i had on the current 327and I'd hate to think I'm already out growing it. If it would be ok but sacrifice 10-15hp I can live with that. This ride is a driver first and foremost. Just fyi, car has power brakes.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest a 348 or 409 swap for high performance and gobs of torque, but I guess I'm a few decades late. Just checked online and I can not find one single 409 for sale.

It's a shame Dart or World never cast 409 blocks or heads. I am pretty sure that either Edelbrock or Offenhauser still has the molds for the tri-power or two four manifolds stashed away, and both Crane and CompCams still grind cams for them (though I'll bet the blank forging pile is getting pretty light by now).

Nothing like a 409 twisting 7,600 and then side stepping the clutch to break every drive line part that Chevy ever made. The 409's warranty claims motivated Chevy to replace the Pontiac Salisbury rear with the 12 bolt rear and the Muncie was designed just to replace the Borg-Warner T-10 tranny used in the Impala 409.

Did see a set of Offy valve covers up for bid on e-Bay for only $6,000 so far.

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: daily driver build. Reply with quote

I ran a 383 with tuned port an got an average 15 mpg in the foot hills. The motor had great torque and hp up to 4500 rpm after that it fell on it's face. It was in a 62 Willys pick up that weighed 4800 lbs with my 180 lbs in it. That was with 92 truck heads Shocked

a58chevy wrote:
I'm looking at building 383 for my '68 Impala daily driver.

It currently has a fresh powerglide and the stock 3.23 (? not postivie) rear end.

Basically I'm looking for a cam size and a cylinder head to make a shitload of torque. My budget isn't really in the aluminum head range but I would be able to go mechanical flat tappet on the cam.
I'm interested in the new Bow-tie Vortechs and I was also checking out the Lunati Voodoo cams..also anything to say about Rhoads Lifters? Do they do what they claim?

I would like reasonable MPG but running premium is ok.

And another question is a 600cfm edelborck too small for a 383 if it isn't screaming rpms? I just bought it to replace a worn out old Holley 600 i had on the current 327and I'd hate to think I'm already out growing it. If it would be ok but sacrifice 10-15hp I can live with that. This ride is a driver first and foremost. Just fyi, car has power brakes.
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ide say your best bet is a 383 stroker. two of my friends were able to turn their 350's into strokers with not much fuss, and they are 17 and 18 so they certainly arent rolling in dough. match that up with a hydraulic cam with a power band from off idle to about 5000 rpm, an edelbrock performer manifold, and world products sr torquer heads. 600cfm is fine if you wont be above 5000 rpm, but ide rather stick a 650 on there. thats the same combo one of my buddies put, and i help him do a lot of the work, and his 84 silverado can spin 33 inch tires that are 12.5 inches wide, and he gets about 11-13 mpg.
techie

335.98 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the cheapest and best dyno-proven 383 I've seen yet, using iron heads and a flat-tappet hydraulic cam. Look at combo 42......

http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos6.html

I'd use a Cloyes true roller chain set advanced another 4 degrees, Melling STANDARD oil pump, standard pan, pop the pistons out of the block 0.006", Fel-Pro 1003 head gaskets, all bearings set to the loose side of the spec.

Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solid roller in my 383 and I spent less for the cam and lifters together than Comp wants for the lifters alone and I have over 30,000 miles on the cam and lifters. I have Dart Iron Eagle 215 heads, a single plane Weiand, 780vac sec Holley running 11:1 on 89 octane....daily driver. It idles at ~750rpm and sounds very good, instant throttle response everything a new car has but the gas mileage(13mpg city) and the super quiet exhaust.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are on the right track with the Vortec heads. I'd probably run the XE268 from Comp Cams and an Edelbrock air gap intake. If you look in the Scoggin Dickey book, they have the same engine build suggestion that makes alot of torque. Just don't go crazy with the compression.

That 600 carb should be fine. I really like the 670 Street Avenger better due to some of it's standard features. Plus, I get really good deals on these carbs.

383 cubic inches X RPM / 3456 = needed CFM at 100% VE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: