Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

1958-283 rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny

208.30 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: 1958-283 rebuild Reply with quote

Just finished boring out a 58' 283 block 30 over and cleaced up nicely. Block was stored for years with only one thou of wear off original specs. Anyone have some real experience with old 283's?
It's going into a 67'Pick-up with a 4 speed muncie and 3:54's.
My question is what kind of parts set-up would make this unit snappy with adequate fuel mileage without a whole lot of electronic gadgets.
Block came with crank and bearing caps only. Will be looking for the best combination of heads cam rods etc.
[/b]
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their own description of snappy but I would think it will be tough to make a 57 truck feel responsive with that size engine. The engine will lack torque and to make it go you'll have to bring up the rpm level which will hurt economy.
If you are locked into using that block I would look for an early 327 small jounal crank.
Do you already have the pistons?
How are you going to use the vehicle?
gen1camaro

855.88 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small journal steel crank out of my 1967 327 that is .020, .020. It is in nice shape with maybe a polish needed if that. Hella cheap if your a near washington. Not going to use it anymore, so no good to me. Jeff
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning some more of my old HotRod mags and came across this; Thought I would share it even if the info is a little dated.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/3454545/?action=view&current=116_09_7.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/3454545/?action=view&current=117_09_7.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

I think what jeep_406 was saying that the 283 isn't the street stormmer it once was back in '58 when it was the king of the hill. Chevy has had a long time to refine the basic concept (improving performance until one horse power per cube is the norm, instead of front cover news on a car mag); and they have enlarged the package to give you a bunch more cubes in the same package. More cubes equals more "snap" for that desired "snappy motor". Note that from jeep_406 moniker that he practices what he preaches, in that even though there are possible substitutes for cubic inches, generally the cubes yield the most bang for the buck.

Big Dave
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm going against the grain here but it doesn't seem like he is building a streetnational truck. With his *perfect* rearend ratio and a four speed his 283 will be plenty *peppy* and fun to drive, and at the same time reasonable on gas. I had the same setup, with the readily available 327/350hp Corvette camshaft, and a 600 Holley. Nice, simple, and reliable. If he is looking for heads stay with the original powerpack or find a set of mid 80's 305 Z28 heads with the larger intake valves. Don't use 327/350 heads or the large chambers will lower your compression. Hanz
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanz wrote:
Guess I'm going against the grain here but it doesn't seem like he is building a streetnational truck. With his *perfect* rearend ratio and a four speed his 283 will be plenty *peppy* and fun to drive, and at the same time reasonable on gas. I had the same setup, with the readily available 327/350hp Corvette camshaft, and a 600 Holley. Nice, simple, and reliable. If he is looking for heads stay with the original powerpack or find a set of mid 80's 305 Z28 heads with the larger intake valves. Don't use 327/350 heads or the large chambers will lower your compression. Hanz

Very good input!!!!!! Stay small and you will be happy with the 288 at .030 over. Powerpack heads work well!! Also the 12 and 18 cam is bitchen!!!
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things being equal I think the extra quarter inch stroke of the 327 would help him move the truck along a little easier. Denny would be getting more torque throughout the rpm range.
I'd run a quadrajet to get more responsiveness from the small primaries. The 350 horse hydraulic cam was a good one for it's day. I used it in 3 engines I had (a 327 & two 350's). I'd pick a cam that would give him as much grunt through 4 to 4500 rpm as possible.

HANZ,

How much compression can he get away with and run the lower octanes?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some of the later model Corvette aluminum heads come with small enough chambers to be beneficial to him - as usual I can't remember the exact chamber size? I was thinking they were on the small side. Clay
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Did some of the later model Corvette aluminum heads come with small enough chambers to be beneficial to him - as usual I can't remember the exact chamber size? I was thinking they were on the small side. Clay

You might be right, weren't the mid eighties Corvette heads like 58cc? I remember having problems coming up with the right piston combination to achieve like 9.5:1 with a 350. Hanz

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanz wrote:
clay wrote:

You might be right, weren't the mid eighties Corvette heads like 58cc? I remember having problems coming up with the right piston combination to achieve like 9.5:1 with a 350. Hanz

Very correct! the problem is everyone thinks they are a gold mine!! Shocked Not true because of the combustion chamber is not a heart shape which is the perfect chamber I have seen. ( Fast burn/ Vortec) and many more that are made these days using Chevrolet technology.
Denny

208.30 points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: 1958-283 Small block Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
In regards to all inputs I really have to side with Big Dave on the note of more cubic inches are a safer combo, besides a bigger frying pan takes longer to heat up and has a larger surface area.
Not that a larger motor should be slated a frying Pan!!!!!!!
After going to the machine shop and figuring that it would be a couple of hundred bucks here in the great white north of Alberta, Canada where there is a humongus oil Boom going on right now, local products and services have sky rocketed. The guy threw me a $700.00 charge just to resurface the block!!!! I have to admit I came really close to picking up the nearest crank shaft in his shop and landing it between his forehead.
I think after doing an extended research and the availability of parts for a 283, I will change frequency and start looking for a good solid LT1 350 unopened with all the parts in running condition.
Any other comments please feel free, Bye the way the 67 GM Pick up came from Montana, so we Canadians here in the North West got some good respect for you Dudes down South. Talk to ya later.[/b]
artinla

8558.30 points

1971 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is that with 3.54 gears and a 4-speed you will have hell hooking up a torque motor.

I have seen a 68 chevelle with an 8500rpm 283 absolutely smoke a 66 big block (427) chevelle. The 283 was pulling the front wheels on the launch. Both cars hooked up well, but the 283 was better geared and had a wider power band.

I think in your case the 350 is the best choice, but the 283 is still a great little engine. You just have to build the car and engine for high rpm. The lower torque can be a blessing in a vehicle that has a poor front/rear weight ratio such as a truck.

Art
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you chose to go with more cubes. The 283 would have been working hard all the time because of the weight of the truck.

For years I was part of an adult hockey team that played all over the Northeast. When we went to Canada we would rent a 15 passenger van. We ended up getting vans with the 460 V8 because they were much more economical than ones with the smaller engines.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final comment on cubes versus the small block work effort. I own a '87 4x4 Suburban Assault Vehicle (a SAV differs from SUV only by the way you choose to drive them) which was shipped from the factory with a 350 TBI set up. I yanked that out at the end of it's usable life span (crank end play was 0.174") and installed a 502 HO short block with '049 heads and 454 TBI with bigger bug sprays.

My milage improved by 4.6 mpg with the huge by large engine over the tired 350. Your mileage may vary.

Big Dave
a58chevy

189.56 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '58 Chevy truck with similar set up. I've had a lot of fun with it.

engine:
283 .60 over 10:1 comp
ported 305 heads
holley intake
edelbrock 600cfm carb
howards 244/244 .510" @.50 on 108 l/s solid flat tappet cam
headers

Tremec TKO 600 5-speed

Ford 9" Rear with 4.11's and Detroit Locker

The only annoying part for me is the time spent convinving the guy you just smoked it's not a 350
Laughing [/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: