Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

My 400 SBC Cooling - What I've learned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony_SS

145.90 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: My 400 SBC Cooling - What I've learned Reply with quote

First off, Thanks guys for helping with my cooling issues. Here's what I learned:

1. There's no such thing as 'too much flow' as pertaining to hi-flow water pumps (I have a hi-flow milodon and it ran cool without the stat)

2. Aluminum radiators are good but you don't need to spend $600 on a 'Be Cool' (used a Modine 951 which is a factory replacement for a 91 z28 camaro)

3. A stock 180* stat with 3 holes drilled is fine with a hi-flow water pump (works for me!)

4. A factory fan and themro clutch will work just FINE! (plenty of airflow and no reason to band-aid a system with electric fans)

5. Never trust a factory guage!

Conclusion:
My 400 runs a consistent 180* all the time - creeps up to 185* while idling, but goes back to 180* during the drive. And this is from a elec sender in the HEAD on an aftermarket guage.

Thanks everyone for their help! Hopefully someone can learn from my trial and error.

www.mac-ink.com
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it creeps up 5 in traffic then either the fan isn't big enough (seven blade fan used on 396 BBC instead of the SBC five blade) or you are missing some duct work in terms of a shroud that makes all the air go through the radiator and past the tips of the fan blade. But all in all i think you have a handle on it.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: