Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Another 396 small block

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetteandMonteMike

215.94 points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Another 396 small block Reply with quote

Hi gang,
I have a 1970 Monte Carlo with the original 300hp/350 motor. I have the parts for a 396 small block build, but am concerned with wear and tear as a daily driver. I didn't want to really put this combo in my daily driver- I had intended to install the 396 into my Vette, but am kinda juggling projects. I already have a 377(383, but with a new standard bore GM block) short block built that was going into the Monte, but then I'd be inclined to build the Monte motor for the Vette and do not want to do that. ANYWAY, The 396 assembly would be going into the Monte Carlo and will be driven every day. I know that the huge stroke will be stretching the limits of a GM block. I already have a forged Eagle crank, Eagle 6" H beam rods, Keith Black pistons, Total Seal rings and Clevite bearings. The heads are 190cc Pro Comp aluminum with an Air Gap intake and a mild Howards Cam(225/235 @ .050 with about .470 lift on a 112LSA. I know that is a small cam, but the 396 parts were originally going into the Vette with a roller cam and bigger heads.
It is what it is......the bottom line is this: Will I only get 20,000 miles out of this motor because of the side wall wear? I don't brutalize motors, but I will definately get on it some.
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would go with bigger heads to start with. My daily driver is a 89 octane 11:1 383 with Dart 215cc iron eagles. I rebuilt mine after 30,000 miles only because I broke an oil pump drive shaft and had to pull the engine to replace it. The biggest thing is going to be taking your time and properly clearancing the block, and you will probably need a small base circle cam which I didn't need. And since you will already have to 'touch' the bottom of every cylinder and the pan rail you might as well do the oil drainbacks and lifter valley. Get Vizards book on SBC's and you will get alot of tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: