Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Electric Water Pumps..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
super72nova

1006.74 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Electric Water Pumps.. Reply with quote

Im planing on swaping my stock style water pump for an aftermarket electric one but i cant find one with a heater hose outlet. dose anyone know who makes one for my 350 ? If anyone dose and has one what size belt do i need for my alternator after the swap? thanks Y'all .....

luv,
bam

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps.. Reply with quote

super72nova wrote:
Im planing on swaping my stock style water pump for an aftermarket electric one but i cant find one with a heater hose outlet. dose anyone know who makes one for my 350 ? If anyone dose and has one what size belt do i need for my alternator after the swap? thanks Y'all .....

luv,
bam

On a street car nope! Old school I am.
thesoundandthefury

794.06 points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to set it up with a remote thermostat housing that has additional hose feeds to use for the heater hoses. Something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=30115&searchItemId=234233&CT=999
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a street car nope! Old school I am.

I second that. A mechanical might start leaking but it will almost never fail and leave you beside the road. Clay
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the LT1 guys go this route because we just pop the front cover off the pump and slide a motor/impeller into the stock housing. Took the average ignorant people a long time to understand that the electric flows more at idle but LESS at higher rpms that is how they free up power by doing less work.
As clay aluded too might want to buy two because electrics are instant total failure rather than a drip like a mechanical will usually do. A failing mechanical is easy to get a new one and will likely get you home anyway, the electric is harder to get and moving the car could do signifigant damage fast.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to drill and tap a 1/2" NPT hole for a hose barb in one side of the electric water pumps casting were it feeds water to the block for a supply line. Your intake manifold should already be drilled and tapped for a return line next to the thermostat housing.

Most electric water pumps don't need one because few racers run a heater core or A/C in their race cars.

Big Dave
super72nova

1006.74 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: i see a trend.. Reply with quote

ok its obvious most of you don't like the idea of an electric pump. here's the deal. im installing dual electric fans soon and ditching the stock fan and my fancy chrome shroud. i live in south Florida and rarely drive in less than 75 deg. weather the car has never over heated but it dose get hotter than preferable while idling in traffic so id really like and electric pump (i cant lie they look rad too).... so is it a really bad idea or am i just gona hope it doesn't fail and go on my way? the way i see it worst case scenario it fails and i have to buy a new one.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in central Florida and it gets almost as hot here as well (it's ok it's a Wet Heat, unlike the killer dry stuff they have in the desert south west). I threw a belt on the interstate and the only reason I knew it was gone was because my volts started dropping. That was because I had a mechanical fan which turned my mechanical pump for the fifteen miles home. Coasted down the off ramp into a convince store and installed my replacement belt (keep three in the trunk because believe it or not I occasionally tac this bad boy up enough to toss a belt at around 6,800 RPM).

Why even bring this up? Because if it happened with your electric, it may look cool, but your engine won't be. The only time you notice a failure is when the coolant starts to boil. Replacing the pump isn't quite as easy as swapping on a new belt.

Big Dave
super72nova

1006.74 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: ok have it your way ! Reply with quote

DAM there trick but yall are right im just askin for trouble. i thought it was a neat idea i had never seen one at the shows and with some more thought into it i realize why, thanks for the input. Burn Out
super72nova

1006.74 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: next Question! Reply with quote

as for a mechanical pump witch one would you sugest (hopefuly something shiney) that would out proform my stock shortneck??
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stewart (or Stuart I can't remember now) makes four great series of pumps used by just about every roundy pounder who has ever raced (which is a testimonial not to be ignored, even though I have little use for stock car racing). The level two should work fine on the street. My second choice would be the Edelbrock which is available in polished aluminum.

Big Dave
Horsepwraddict

157.16 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know alot of people who run CSR ellectric water pumps on street cars and never have problems. with electric fans and pump it free's up a decent amount of power and cools just fine. i dont see it being a problem in your climate...and i agree..they look cool

-'01 Jetta Daily
drop in filter, exhaust...gas sipper
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: shroud Reply with quote

I've lived in both dry and wet heat and I can tell you from experience that a car doesn't care in the least which is which. Your best defense is a complete and functional shroud. Do not under any circumstances run without one on the street.
Hot_Rod_Mike

1580.82 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've tried the electric pump and electric fans route. I could never keep the car cool enough during hot summer days here in Orange Park,FL.
I went back to the mechanical pump (high volume) and flex fan. I also had the belt throwing problem at about 6000. I stepped up and bought a "March Products" serpentine belt conversion from Summit and that took care of the belt problem.

jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Stewart pump on my 406. I've run them for years and never had a problem. Good people to deal with.

Nice looking engine compartment Exclamation Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: